Photo

I need to light up the inside of a lampshade...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 David Schuurman

David Schuurman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:04 AM

Seems straightforward at first, that's what a lampshade is for. lol. However, It will be work on an actors head (so not much space) and it needs to be dimmable either wirelessly or on a cable. I was thinking any number of small LED panels could illumnate everything but to dim them live would be tough. Is there anything you folks can suggest that would work? I thought maybe some strip lighting wrapped around the head to make the light more even. Is there any solutions to wirelessly control lights like that?

Thanks!

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11590 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

I think LED strip is the easiest way to go.

You could rig up something to turn it on and off remotely quite easily using inexpensive radio switching modules, though it could get a bit more involved if you wanted remote dimming.

#3 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3254 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

Phil's right, LED ribbon is the way to go. You could mount a helmet to the inside of the lampshade and wrap the LEDs to the outside of that. then find the smallest batteries that will power the ribbon and either mount those to the outside of the helmet, or run a cable down to a belt pack. For wireless DMX dimming, you could try Litegear: http://store.litegea...gory_s/2029.htm. Or build it yourself if you're handy with that sort of thing.

Years ago, I shot a commercial where I had to do something similar, making the actor's head appear to glow and give off ambient interactive light. His head would be replaced with an animated sun in post. I had the art department build a light bulb helmet:

IMG_0189.JPG

We would use LEDs now which would have been a lot easier, but they weren't as popular as they are now. We had to run a stinger down the actor's pant leg to power it the whole day, which limited his movement.

Glidecam

Pro 8mm

Zylight

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Quantum Music Works

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post