#1 Ryan Emanuel

Ryan Emanuel

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:00 PM

If the fill light is 2-3 stops beneath the far side key light, does it matter whether or not the broad side fill is a hard or soft source?  Can't you get away with it being hard, like a fresnel with opal since the harsh nose shadow from the fill light will be overpowered by the key light? 

I'm just messing around in Cine Designer and wondering if this is true in real life applications.

Edited by Ryan Emanuel, 01 March 2017 - 01:00 PM.

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3445 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

Hi Ryan,

The quality of a hard fill light will be still be specular, so you'll have hard shadows. You may notice this as the subject moves. It's true that with a static subject, the nose shadow may be filled in by the key, but you might still see shadows under the chin, from the hair and on textured skin.

I will sometimes use hard frontal fill dimmed way down for more stylized portraiture-type setups where the subject is locked. But that's pretty unusual, since it's not as naturalistic looking as a soft fill.

#3 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3445 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:04 PM

Here's an example of hard frontal fill light:

33195010995_054512cecf_o.jpg

Juliet - 'Romeo & Juliet' eBook.

Here, the key is a 2K open-face through a large sheet of bleached muslin on camera left. The hard fill light is a Dedo above the lens, dimmed down with some 1/4 or 1/2 CTB to match the key. There may be a few scrims in as well. There's no nose shadow here because of the frontal position, and the subject is fairly static. But if she were to move around more, I think you would see the shadows under the chin move around. I tried to keep the fill off of her chin area for this reason.

Here's a similar setup with a soft sidey fill this time:

30631805872_c59360049f_o.jpg

Brutus - 'Julius Caesar' eBook.

The key is the same (this time with 3/4 CTS and a bit more wrappy), while the fill is a low 1K open face though another muslin sheet on camera right (with Fire Red gel). There is also an eyelight strip with a Dedo/DP2 projector/acrylic diffusion, but that is only over the eyes and not filling the cheek at all. The fill in this case is more of a color cast and not so much for modeling, though you can see the shadow on her neck from the fabric. So in some ways, direction of the fill matters more than specularity in creating shadows.

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

The Slider

CineTape

Quantum Music Works

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies