#1 John Paul Palescandolo

John Paul Palescandolo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Student
  • Madison, NJ

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:16 AM

Went to the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia over the weekend to see the 70mm print of Rogue One... and it really looked awful. The print was dark and flat. It lacked contrast, the colors lacked saturation, and the blacks were milky, to name a few things. Since the movie came out in December, is the print just worn at this point? Is there an issue with their projection system? I know Rogue One was shot anamorphically on the Alexa 65, so did this just not hold up well when transferred to film? I saw the digital IMAX version back in December, which, when compared to the 70mm print, looked great.

The IMAX at the Franklin Institute is also a dome theater, which perhaps also wasn't the best screen to watch this on, although for some of the scenes with a lot of movement, especially flying, you did feel as if you were moving. However, it also seemed like maybe the movie was being projected a little larger than it should have for its method of capture. Based on the poor viewing experience, I doubt I'd go back here to see another theatrical release. The Franklin Institute also played the 70mm print of The Force Awakens, which the IMAX at 68th Street in NYC didn't play. Since the 70mm prints of Star Wars movies seem to be going to The Franklin Institute, hopefully whatever happened with Rogue One was just a fluke.

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19539 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:41 AM

Dome projection is notorious for giving you washed-out images -- it's like a giant coved bounce card, anything bright on one side of the dome fills in the blacks on the opposite side.

#3 Jay Young

Jay Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lexington KY

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:15 AM

Dome projection is notorious for giving you washed-out images -- it's like a giant coved bounce card, anything bright on one side of the dome fills in the blacks on the opposite side.

I guess that is why cinerama used flat strips of screen material; so it wouldn't interfere with the opposite sides of the projection...multiplied by three projectors! 

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport