6 replies to this topic

#1 Justin Everett Gum

Justin Everett Gum
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

Hey guys,

So I have a project coming up that sounds really cool but I'm not sure how to do it. Looking for ideas on how it'd work, if at all. So the visual idea is that we would have floating kino bulbs rigged from a light grid over a cyc. We'd have dozens of these bulbs in a randomized layout but the pattern of the bulbs would fluctuate towards the center of a given area, where a subject would be standing.

The bulbs would be oriented vertically and would like to be DMX'd for individual bulb control.

Currently, we have about 16 4bank 4ft Kino lights rigged on the grid. They all have their specific DMX address attached to the ballast located above each light.

Any ideas on how it'd work? If not, any other ideas on getting the same effect? Are there any pieces or parts we need to get to make it happen like a bulb contact extender?

Look forward to your responses. Thanks!

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11780 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:46 PM

I'm a tinkerer, so my reaction would be to build it out of conventional commercial lighting parts. Many of them have 0-10V control which can be derived from DMX with converters and it would be vastly cheaper.

LED is the other option, though you'd then be looking for LED tubes with dimming capability.

Otherwise, well, lots and lots of kino gear!

#3 Justin Everett Gum

Justin Everett Gum
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:46 PM

I'm a tinkerer, so my reaction would be to build it out of conventional commercial lighting parts. Many of them have 0-10V control which can be derived from DMX with converters and it would be vastly cheaper.

LED is the other option, though you'd then be looking for LED tubes with dimming capability.

Otherwise, well, lots and lots of kino gear!

Sounds good. I was looking for ways to do it without needing harnesses or single bulb ballasts, but it seems it needs that. Your idea might be better! 

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11780 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:09 PM

I was thinking about the single-bulb ballast issue. They exist, and in dimming type, but they're significantly more expensive than the conventional types. Bear in mind that fluorescent tubes don't really dim all the way to black, depending how well made the ballast is, and they will change colour.

Googling around uncovered the Philips HF-R 136 TL-D, which apparently dims to 3% and will drive four-foot, 36-watt tubes. Cases of several are naturally much less expensive.

You may want to consider shatter sleeving the tubes. T8 sleeves intended for the food service industry are available and I've seen types with blue silicone rubber, or white plastic end caps.

P

#5 Justin Everett Gum

Justin Everett Gum
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:49 PM

Hey Phil,

Sounds good. Thanks for your input. For the most part, I think we'd just on/off it. No dimming specifically, but definitely creating a pattern through DMX to make it flicker.

One question regarding ballasts.... if we just wanted to use our current 4-bank ballasts to control just one bulb that is attached, that shouldn't be a problem, correct? 

-Justin

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11780 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

I've done it. Nothing exploded.

If you just want on-off control, you can probably just use the basic ballasts and DMX switches. There will be a small delay while the tube starts up, which means your programming will need to preempt things a bit. 

P

#7 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:11 PM

Any interest in trying quasars? No ballasts, just dimmer pack controlled by a board.

Just saying...

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

CineLab

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products