• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:11 AM

It's worth being clear that there's nothing technologically that clever about ProRes. It's very similar to basic motion-JPEG, which was used from the very dawn of computer editing. Many of the things which are attributed to it can be done with many other codecs.

This issue of files coming in complicated folder structures is and always was craziness. It's completely unnecessary, it's enormously unhelpful and it's arguably misuse of a computer filesystem. When Panasonic came out with P2 I was horrified at how badly it had been done. Even MXF itself is a disaster; massively overcomplicated and so desperate to be everything to everyone it ended up being nothing to anyone.

It should always just have been file per take, just like Broadcast Wave. 

P

#42 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:16 AM

somehow in conversation I told the Dir that the Alexa was no where near 4K and he almost fell off his chair ..

Whoever the hell owns the patent on "4k technology" has to be making a fortune. I meet kids who think any image with a shallow depth of field was shot on a 4K camera.

#43 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1904 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:07 PM

Whoever the hell owns the patent on "4k technology" has to be making a fortune. I meet kids who think any image with a shallow depth of field was shot on a 4K camera.

Yes some irony that the camera held in the highest esteem ,that has produced fantastic images for large screen projection .. is what 2,800K in standard 16-9 format..(or something like that).. or lower.. 2500 in others.. that alot of "non gear" people just presume its 4K or more..begs the question doesnt it..  do we need 4K? do we need 8K.. Mmmm maybe not.. 

#44 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:44 AM

About the only really worthwhile application of very high resolution video at present is in VR/360-degree video, call it what you will. In that situation, there's a need for lots of resolution because the (generally) 16:9 image will be expanded into a sphere, so the region of interest at any one time represents only a very small part of the signal you're actually sending.

Obviously all a bit nascent at the moment, though, and you'll be deriving it from a cluster of a dozen cameras, so...

#45 Matt Thomas

Matt Thomas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Other
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:57 AM

Just to update... 

Ended up buying a stellar FS5 rig, kit zoom lens (cuz just rent glass ya know?), and with RAW upgrade and external recorder. I think this will be a solid base to build on and grow with. Quality wise, I think I've placed myself nicely between the top level RED guys in town and the DSLR crowd, without breaking the bank or getting into unforeseeable debt. 

Not sure if I'll end up renting it out yet or not. My insurance agent laughed at me when I brought it up in our meeting  <_< but like, what does he know??

Thanks for the input everyone. This really is the best cinematography forum out there.

#46 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:08 PM

Just to update... 

(cuz just rent glass ya know?),

If anything it'd be better to throw all the money into your glass and rent the body. Takes a lot longer for a high quality lens to go obsolete than a digital camera body. Lomos still see use 40+ years later? I don't see very many people rocking video cameras released 20 years ago..

#47 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1904 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:30 PM

Until all the cameras go FF sensor.. and my lovely CN7 becomes a paper weight :)

#48 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:58 PM

At that point will there be a surge in EF still glass? Or would that still be too small?

#49 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1904 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:10 PM

Well no I imagine it will be a boom for FF stills lenses.. except they are a pain to work with.. but alot more "affordable" cine FF lenses I would guess.. Sigma are already going full throttle in knocking out FF cine primes and a couple of zooms too.. but one has alot of breathing apparently.. 

Or like the Angenieux (spelling) zoom that has some sort of changeable back element design..

#50 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:15 PM

Sounds like we should start stocking up on L series glass!

#51 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3074 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:29 PM

Sounds like we should start stocking up on L series glass!

Except that it's a focus pulling nightmare, particularly when used with FF35 cameras.

#52 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:58 PM

Not for use. For flipping.

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery