Carl Nenzen Loven
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Student
  • San Francisco

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:07 AM

Hi there,

I have this upcoming short I am doing the cinematography for. Most of the story is based in a café and HAS to take place during the day ( according to the director). Problem is the café is not available except after hours at night.

Now the exteriors can be done as pickups to establish the scene, but it is keeping the daylight consistent where I am a bit nervous. My first idea was to rig a 8x8 or 12x12 silk with a 1.2 Arrisun shooting through it. I also thought about bouncing the HMI using the silk yet again. Then I can use my remaining lights for details, and be able to keep “daylight” consistent.

Any thoughts?

The cafe has one VERY big window at the entry so shooting that way is out of the option really.

Happy for any input.

C

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7003 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

You'll probably need more than a 1.2 I'd think about an M40 bounced into a 12x12 ultrabounce as the overall "skylight" then using the 1.2 for more directional "sun" through some lighter diffusion.

#3 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:10 PM

One thing you can do is to cover the windows with 1000H tracing paper and backlight them with a large HMI or Kinos. Then add ambience inside the room. It helps to have something like a Joleko to add a slash of sunlight or a table bounce near the talent. I find actually bouncing from below simulates sunlight quite well.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc