#1 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:43 PM

Been on AD500x for the past 3 years, they've helped me get compliments on my mixes.

Just upgraded to the AKG K701 and they have nothing in the low end. Tried the Sony MDR-7506 and those are god awful at 200hz.

What are my fellow filmmakers using to mix their projects when it's too late in the night for speakers?

Thanks.

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 Jay Young

Jay Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lexington KY

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:07 PM

I use AKG K702.  I have for about the past 4 years.  I've tried with different amps, clean DACs, the whole deal.  Since they are an open design, they will differ considerably to something like a closed circumaural SONY design - of which I think has far too much low end to be decent. 

I love my AKG's, and got them before total manufacturing went Chinese.  The K702 is designed to be flat, and used in a relatively quiet and flat environment.  They are very revealing.  

Perhaps you might wish to check out http://www.head-fi.org for their forum and reviews. 

#3 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:13 PM

How common is counterfeiting for AKG headphones? I got them off eBay for $180 brand new and the frequency response I saw online doesn't really feel like it matches what I'm hearing. If anything my low end would sound higher but it feels way lower.

I'm using this site/chart for reference. In it I have my old headphones and my new ones.

http://graphs.headph...on=Update Graph

#4 Jay Young

Jay Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lexington KY

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:34 PM

Three years ago, counterfeits were rampant.  That is an interesting website, not sure where their data comes from.  I'll have to read about that more. 

Its pretty much established that the 702 is different than the 701, which is cheaper in price and has a different sound stage. 

If you want AKG, and you want more base, try the 712. 

#5 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

They had the serial number on them and I registered it on the AKG website and it checked out. Is it still possible they are fakes even with a registry?

#6 Jay Young

Jay Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lexington KY

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:05 PM

They had the serial number on them and I registered it on the AKG website and it checked out. Is it still possible they are fakes even with a registry?

No, I don't think so. Its been several years tho.   There were several writeups about how to spot a fake.  You should look those up! 

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Glidecam