New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other
  • Germany

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

Hi there,

I spent the last days working on this little tune...

https://soundcloud.c.../journey-onward

...a somewhat rhythmically driven (almost march-like) medieval/fantasy theme soundtrack theme. It's build upon a (hopefully) heroic melody and is intended to accompany the travel montage of a fantasy epic (game/film). If you have some handy tips, especially concerning the mix, please do not hesitate to share your insights. :)

Best regards

Dustin

#2 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2001 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:34 AM

Nice. I get some clear Basil Poledouris infusions from this - and that's never a bad thing!  :)

#3 James Compton

James Compton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:16 AM

It's good. The bulk of it sounds like a blend of the melodies in the "travel themes" from 'Conan the Barbarian' and 'LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring'. Retune the song to 432hz. There are plugins for that task. What you will find is that it "resonates" with the listener on a deeper level. Combine unconventional instruments with Western classical compositions. Try tuning a guzheng(Chinese zither) to "drop D" tuning and mixing it into an alternating cello coda. Take an orchestral gong and filter all sound above 600hz and sprinkle it in for ominous moments. I like the direction that you are starting in, I think it could benefit from creative tuning and filtering to make sound less "electronic-made in a computer. One more thing. Use the stereo field/surround depth - the same way a cinematographer/photographer uses selective focus in an image. Have fun with panning instruments. Remember, it's fantasy. Let's go on a quest!!! :)

#4 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1525 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

Since you're doing it for a game it does sound like atmospheric music for a town.  It sounds like there's a little "Everquest" influence there.

#5 Nudist Elegan

Nudist Elegan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other
  • Germany

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:24 AM

Hey, thanks for your replies, really appreciate it. :) Since I wasn't entirely satisfied with the MIDI-based recording of my orchestral version I transcribed it for solo piano. I tried to stay as true as possible to the original orchestral version, especially in keeping the bass ostinato as well as the off-beat fills for pizzicato strings beneath the melody vocings. Maybe one or two of you here find it interesting to watch all the different voices in action. Hope you'll enjoy.

https://youtu.be/RgFdfjqNtag

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Technodolly

The Slider

Glidecam

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS