Photo

Feedback on Student RED Project, Please? :)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Meharg

Jon Meharg

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student
  • NYC area / Indiana

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:28 AM

Hello!

I just discovered this community and it seems like a great place to learn from. 

I'm Jon, an undergrad film student at a small university in the middle of Indiana (riveting stuff, right?) Anyway, I was wondering if you would kindly take the time to watch this little short film (4:00 minutes) that I did for a directing and cinematography class. 

I shot it on a RED weapon with Zeiss compact prime lenses.

Thank you for your viewing and lovely feedback.

Jon

Edited by Jon Meharg, 23 March 2017 - 10:35 AM.

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1009 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:08 PM

I've never heard of a small market Uni having access to brains that expensive. How many (finished) projects have you DP'd with just any old cheap camera?

I ask this because the glaring issues that stood out to me in this all fall under basic blocking concepts. Every shot seemed on the wide side with little variation. Not to say there's a be all end all rule that you need every type of close-up, but I wasn't really seeing a reason for it that assisted the story.

Shot variation is an immersive thing, to me at least.

Also I assume you've been told at some point to not center frame every shot (rule of thirds) but there were parts where off-center things fell a bit too far off, like at 1:32.

The best advice I could relay to you would be analyzing some run of the mill 6/10 comedies or dramas and taking notes on how the DP will tackle a given sequence. What's close up, how far left, how far right, etc. I recommend those rather than Kubrick/Scorsese cause you'll need to learn how to walk before you can run.

Edited by Macks Fiiod, 23 March 2017 - 05:09 PM.

#3 Jon Meharg

Jon Meharg

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student
  • NYC area / Indiana

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:59 PM

Hi!
Thank you for the feedback! This was one of the first projects that I dp'ed as a focus. I've done a few others with other cameras. But this was one of the first that I did with a focus on just cinematography.

In terms of blocking I do stylistically tend to like to push things a little further than usual and favor wide shots but I think you've nicely put what I've been noticing. I tend to favor longer (wider) shots over variation, but that isn't always effective. Especially at 1:32.

I didn't mention this in the original post but this was for a project with a strict time limit and specific shots needed. I sort of crammed a story and extra shots to make it more fun. So some of the lack of variation is due to that.

I focused alot on camera movement to reflect the emotional state of the main character. I was wondering if you had any comment on that as well.

Could you point to specific examples where you thought the blocking was off or areas you would suggest improvement?

Edited by Jon Meharg, 26 March 2017 - 01:03 PM.

CineTape

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

The Slider

CineLab

Glidecam