New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director
  • Vancouver, BC

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:16 PM

Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a small set of scrims, flags, and silks to use and practice with my ARRI Softbank I light kit (300w, 650w, and 750 ARRILITE). I'm looking at getting a Matthews Lighting Control Kit in either 18x24 or 24x36. However, I'm having difficulty deciding on which size to get. I like how easy and compact the 18x24 version is to work with but will I regret not going for the bigger size for more flexibility? Let me know what you think, thanks!

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6980 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:32 PM

24x36, especially if you're dealing with soft lights (where you might even want some 4x4 floppy solids!), but 18 has it's place as well and in an ideal world you'd get both. However, being up in BC i'm sure there are rental houses-- those things are soo cheap to rent might not be worth it.

#3 Alexander Mainwaring

Alexander Mainwaring

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director
  • Vancouver, BC

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:41 PM

Thanks for the response Adrian. I suppose I don't necessarily need to get that Matthews kit but I do want to have a few scrims, flags, and silks kicking around to practice with and then rent bigger kits for projects or work. 

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6980 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:45 PM

They're nice to have, i suppose, I used to have them (wescott makes some cheaper foldable ones too) worth looking into.

#5 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:28 AM

Chimera makes some pretty robust 4x4 collapsible frames which you can outfit with some 4x4 slipper rags from Advantage Gripware: http://www.advantage...x4 slippers.htm

It makes a pretty nice little kit that will easily fit into a regular car. I have two frames and 1x Half Soft Frost, 1x Light Grid, 1x Full Grid, 2x Floppies, and 1x Ultrabounce monitor enclosure. It's great for small little shoots when you don't have a grip truck. The only downside is that the Chimera frames don't have pins, so you have to bite the frame with a gobo head from the side.

Quantum Music Works

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Lenser

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Tai Audio