Rafael Monta
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Madrid

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:08 AM

Minimal Camera gear for independent productions

Not long ago I  wrapped an independent feature that was shot in Morocco with a DoP I had already worked for on two more movies. From the very first contact with the production company, it was quite clear that it was a low budget movie, therefore it was mandatory to squeeze the most out of every single euro in order to make the shooting possible according to the schedule, without the need to do extra hours and such. As usual, I advised the director of photography on the gear list, try to get everything I considered necessary and making a separate list of devices and accessories that could be  considered dispensable, hoping that finally the production company would come to an agreement with the rental house.

Since the prep time had been very short, there was a lot of information about the shooting I wasn’t aware of, and now that I came back I would like to share what I’ve learn from this experience. Speaking about gear and accessories, I realized that there are some of them that are wrongly considered “fancy”, while it’s precisely in low budget productions when they become more handy and/or essential.

Here you have my top 3...

More info here

Camaleon Cinema Services S.L - Fabio Giolitti.

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camera, productions, minimal, gear, independent, equipment

The Slider

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Tai Audio

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies