#1 Eric F Adams

Eric F Adams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Other
  • St. Francisville, Louisiana

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:58 PM

Besides using a towel.  Is there something good to use to cover the camera to muffle out the little clicking motor sound?  Fits good and no problems or interfering the workings of the camera.  Thanks. 

#2 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1435 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

A blimp.  Back in the day they ran around 30grand depending on the camera.  What kind of camera do you have?

#3 Eric F Adams

Eric F Adams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:40 PM

Arriflex SR2 

#4 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1435 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:56 AM

Hmm, that's odd.  That particular camera should run silently.  You might want to have a tech at the local rental house check it out.

#5 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11645 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:03 PM

I've shot with the SR2 and had absolutely no problem. As with almost any film camera there's a very faint purring, inevitably, but if it's causing really serious problems, as George says, it's fault. That could be causing damage, so get it looked at.

You could, I suppose, in the most extreme circumstances, homebrew a blimp. The trick, as I understand it, is layers of harder and softer materials. I once made a very effective sound-deadening enclosure (for something other than a camera) out of some layers of vinyl flooring and upholstery foam, with the flooring serving as a hard reflective surface and the foam catching and absorbing the reflections. Effectiveness is limited by your tolerance for size, and on a camera, the need to have the viewfinder and lens, which will carry some vibration and thus sound, sticking out.

P

#6 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6944 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 01 April 2017 - 01:00 PM

As mentioned SR2/3 should be very very quiet when within spec--- as in quieter than even some digital cameras with fan noise. Get it serviced, and perhaps check how well it's loaded-- could be a bit of film just scratching inside the mag.

#7 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 01 April 2017 - 01:06 PM

Could be the film loop size too, as I seem to recall that made some difference in film transport noise. Maybe try a loop one perf smaller.

Worst case, there are barneys made for the SR cameras. Like old leather football helmets, they are. Though from what I understand, most of the noise generated is actually coming out of the lens port, which a barney won't help with.

#8 Eric F Adams

Eric F Adams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:32 AM

Hmm, that's odd.  That particular camera should run silently.  You might want to have a tech at the local rental house check it out.

Hey George.  Silent, it's not..  It has the normal purr of the ole Arri film.  I guess I need to do a better job of my camera position in relation to my sound. 

I've shot with the SR2 and had absolutely no problem. As with almost any film camera there's a very faint purring, inevitably, but if it's causing really serious problems, as George says, it's fault. That could be causing damage, so get it looked at.

You could, I suppose, in the most extreme circumstances, homebrew a blimp. The trick, as I understand it, is layers of harder and softer materials. I once made a very effective sound-deadening enclosure (for something other than a camera) out of some layers of vinyl flooring and upholstery foam, with the flooring serving as a hard reflective surface and the foam catching and absorbing the reflections. Effectiveness is limited by your tolerance for size, and on a camera, the need to have the viewfinder and lens, which will carry some vibration and thus sound, sticking out.

P

Thanks Phil.  I get it serviced with Bernie up in New York.  I am purchasing some Producer Choice sound blankets so that should help. 

As mentioned SR2/3 should be very very quiet when within spec--- as in quieter than even some digital cameras with fan noise. Get it serviced, and perhaps check how well it's loaded-- could be a bit of film just scratching inside the mag.

Thanks Adrian.  I will get it checked out. 

Could be the film loop size too, as I seem to recall that made some difference in film transport noise. Maybe try a loop one perf smaller.

Worst case, there are barneys made for the SR cameras. Like old leather football helmets, they are. Though from what I understand, most of the noise generated is actually coming out of the lens port, which a barney won't help with.

Interesting you say that Satsuki.  I have notice a difference in my film loop size.  I purchase an additional mag for my next project so now i will have 3 mags.  Now i can take my time and load them up just right instead of hurrying to load on set...lol.  

#9 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6944 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 02 April 2017 - 12:31 PM

Shouldn't take more than a minute to load/unload a mag lol.

On the SR3 at least when i'd load i'd make the loop tight to the marked line with no extra slop in it.

#10 Eric F Adams

Eric F Adams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:31 PM

Shouldn't take more than a minute to load/unload a mag lol.

On the SR3 at least when i'd load i'd make the loop tight to the marked line with no extra slop in it.

A minute?  goodness.  Now I can unload in about 2 minutes or less, but to load...I need full concentration and I take my time.  I would say I average 4 to 5 minutes.  

#11 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1405 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:47 PM

Try an optical flat filter too.. some noise is coming out the front of the lens too... as an assistant I remember some SR,,s could be pretty noisy compared to an Aaton..  usually around the gears/cogs that drives the mags.. you could get a clunking sound if they were worn .. other than that just get a blimp .. not a bad idea to have one anyway.. 

Edited by Robin R Probyn, 03 April 2017 - 06:48 PM.

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Quantum Music Works

CineLab

Tai Audio

Technodolly