#1 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:08 PM

There are a few vintage (70s/80s) cameras I'd like to get my hands on however I have little knowledge of the technology inside in the event of a breakdown. Could anyone point me to some video engineers in the area with knowledge of this equipment dating back to the 80's?

Google isn't helping. Thanks to all for your info.

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1654 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:07 PM

Video Engineers?? 

You mean TV/VCR/Video camera repairmen?  Better hurry quick, most TV repair shops went out of business long ago.

#3 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:32 PM

The only guy I've been referred to so far has been Roger Macie, who's considered one of the best? The issue for me is he's all the way in Providence.

You'd think business like that would last to some capacity now that any kid with a cheap DSLR wants to be a filmmaker/photographer.

#4 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:11 PM

Video Engineers?? 
You mean TV/VCR/Video camera repairmen?

That's what we used to call DITs who worked with ENG cameras and paintboxes. There are a number of folks with those skills still around, most have transitioned to DIT work or sound mixing.

#5 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1654 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:30 AM

That's what we used to call DITs who worked with ENG cameras and paintboxes. There are a number of folks with those skills still around, most have transitioned to DIT work or sound mixing.

So the guys that transitioned into DIT work could troubleshoot electronic circuits and repair them? 

To call them Engineers is an insult to anyone who has earned their Engineering degree or driven a train.

I really think that Macks is looking for an electronics repair technician and if he search for TV repair he might find one.

#6 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:50 AM

Just semantics JD..in the old days in the video world.. there was a job called video engineer.. they were of course quite techie and knew alot about the camera,s ..paintbox,s etc.. in the days when camera people.. (myself included) know pretty much nothing about how the camera,s worked..  the engineer part could I guess be taken rather loosely from person to person.. some of them did come from electronic engineering and had degree,s .. others didnt have degree,s but did know alot about the camera,s..  or maybe had driven a train too... 

#7 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4924 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

Last time I got some Steadicam electronics fixed I sent to a company that specialized in repairing ATMs. 

#8 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:29 PM

To call them Engineers is an insult to anyone who has earned their Engineering degree or driven a train.

An audio engineer once told me the title of "engineer" is earned if you can consistently fix problems in a quick amount of time.

Quantum Music Works

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Abel Cine

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider