Renting NTSC digiBeta, London

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fstop

fstop
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:51 AM

I've got a project coming up shot on DigiBeta in the UK for which post is being done in the US and have access to an alchemist conversion so can shoot 50i with a PAL camera. However, it would also be nice to use a real NTSC camera, 60i, so we don't have to worry about alchemist-

anyone know any shops in London that rent out NTSC versions of DigiBeta cameras such as the dvw790/700?

Many many thanks!!

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19762 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:55 AM

Here in L.A., PAL Digi-Beta is so expensive to rent that I'd just get an F900 HDCAM, which can shoot 50i or 60i, as well as 24P, etc. -- for almost the same price. It may be the same in London -- you may have an easier time getting a deal on an F900 rather than an NTSC Digital Betacam.

Are any of the standard def cameras switchable from 50i to 60i? Maybe one of the IMX cameras?

#3 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3071 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 June 2005 - 02:43 PM

Most of the NTSC DVW 700/790s in Britain tend to be Owner/Operator packages, as there's not much demand for them as rental items.

Optex might be worth a try, but it's certainly going to be easier (for you, anyway) and cheaper, if you hire a regular PAL 790 and let them worry about the conversion later. If you do shoot NTSC remember that UK fluorescents, streetlights and HMIs will flicker at 29.97 or 30fps

You should be looking at around £275-£300 a day for a PAL digi kit, plus £75 for a wide-angle. You may get it for less if you rent from outside London ;-)

Edited by Stuart Brereton, 23 June 2005 - 02:46 PM.

#4 fstop

fstop
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:41 PM

Thanks Stuart. :)

Here in L.A., PAL Digi-Beta is so expensive to rent that I'd just get an F900 HDCAM, which can shoot 50i or 60i, as well as 24P, etc. -- for almost the same price.  It may be the same in London -- you may have an easier time getting a deal on an F900 rather than an NTSC Digital Betacam.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WOW! As far as I have found, that's certainly not the case over in the UK! Why is Digibeta SO expensive over there??? How can it even compare to the HD prices?

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19762 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:49 PM

Thanks Stuart. :)
WOW! As far as I have found, that's certainly not the case over in the UK! Why is Digibeta SO expensive over there??? How can it even compare to the HD prices?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PAL Digi-Beta is about $200/day more than NTSC Digi-Beta. The book rates at some places are:

4x3 NTSC Digi-Beta $900/day
16x9 NTSC Digi-Beta $1000/day
16x9 PAL Digi-Beta $1200/day
HDW-700 HDCAM $1200/day
HDW-700A HDCAM $1500/day
HDW-F900 HDCAM $1700/day

(This is from an old catalog, plus these are only book rates. You can find better deals out there.)

One of the problems is that so many people invested years ago in Beta-SP camcorders (there a dime a dozen in L.A.) that Digi-Beta never caught on, so the prices stayed high, and PAL is even rarer, so those prices are even higher. Then a lot of people bought F900's, so you can find deals on that camera.

As for shooting NTSC in the U.K., I assume that playing with the shutter and shooting at 50 hz will help get rid of flicker.

#6 John J. Moers

John J. Moers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Prague, Czech Rep. &amp; NY/NJ

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:17 PM

I just recently came across an old post about NTSC in London, but I felt compelled to reply anyway. It's ashame I didn't see it earlier. In July of 2005, I wasn't using my DVW-790WS (NTSC) as I was shooting with my CineAlta, and I could have easily lent it to you. I have both these cameras in Europe. If the situation ever comes up again, let me know. Be happy to help out.

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

The Slider

CineTape

CineLab

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC