#1 tom lombard

tom lombard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Other
  • nebraska

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:11 PM

For a variety of reasons, this seems like the point at which I need to formalize things a bit (business cards, record keeping, banking, insurance, etc) so I need a "business name".  The name likely doesn't matter much doing indie shorts but the hope is always to grow both production-wise & budget-wise.  Does the name actually make a lot of difference?  Do key words like cinema or productions or film actually carry much weight?  Is something easy to remember, fairly generic, and family friendly good enough?  Should I angst on this or just come up with something, go with it, and save my energy for more important issues?  Thanks, Tom

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:36 PM

Just make sure you do something that's easy to remember and doesn't lead to other entities in Google results.

#3 Justin Hayward

Justin Hayward
  • Sustaining Members
  • 838 posts
  • Director
  • Chicago, IL.

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:43 PM

I guess I wouldn't do anything that's particularly uncreative if you're in the business of being creative.

#4 Michael LaVoie

Michael LaVoie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:28 PM

If you see a movie on Netflix or in the theater that you like, and the overall vision fits with yours and the kind of content you want your company to produce, follow the trail of logos at the front of the film and check out the websites of the companies for examples that are "comparable" to what you want to do.

Depending on what you're doing, you may want to be unique and somewhat different.  here's an example. http://www.likely-story.com/

If you look under the projects on that site, you've heard of a lot of those films but probably not the production company.  This is because the parent production company doesn't usually do a lot of branding of it's own as it's mostly an HQ for all of the individual LLC's that form for each movie.  Those get more effort.

On the other hand, there are some horror production companies that tend to stick to that genre and the branding of the company, name etc.  usually fits that type of content.  Most production companies operate in modest anonymity and you haven't heard of them necessarily.  Here's one that took that approach literally...haha - http://www.anonymouscontent.com/

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19386 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:28 PM

Terry Gilliam used to call his production company "Poo-Poo Pictures" because he liked the idea of forcing executives in studio meetings to say things to each other like "did you get the contract from Poo-Poo yesterday?"

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Quantum Music Works

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

CineTape

The Slider

Visual Products

CineLab