4 replies to this topic

#1 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2011 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:51 PM

Had a loaded 35mm 2c mag sitting in the garage for 5 or 6 years and stumbled upon it a few months ago. Didn't look at it very closely and shot it for fun on a night scene. Not exactly proud that I let it through but it wasn't a paying gig and I guess stranger things have happened with film.

Here's the results shooting through the wrong side of the film and flipping it in post. Also a still from the BMPCC we also used. Always have a backup.

spaceman_0b.jpg

BMPCC backup...

spaceman_0.jpg

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3226 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:49 PM

Wait what? You loaded the camera emulsion side in? Interesting, I didn't know it would capture any image that way, I always thought the rem jet coating would pretty much render the film worthless. What a cool result tho! :) 

Side note... where'd ya get the costume from? I dig it! :)

#3 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1407 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:46 AM

I got a similar result once from accidently shooting a roll of standard 8 Ektochrome with the emulsion at the back. It's actually a technique called redscale that people do deliberately, with sometimes beautiful results. Helps if you overexpose by a couple of stops.
I know it works with reversal and still photography negative, but like Tyler I thought the remjet of cine colour neg would block more light.

#4 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2011 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:44 AM

The lab was like, "huh?"

I wasn't sure what happened until I realized it was all reversed. Had to work a little to get the image I got, it was definitely way underexposed. I've since heard a few DPs mention they've seen it done for special effect a long time ago. Throw a ton of light on it if you do it on purpose.

I'll have to find out where the costume came from. I know it was shipped and we only had it for a few days.

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7002 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:06 PM

Lomo used to make a film for stills called "Redscale" which was essentially this-- though yes you really need to over-expose. It's a kinda cool little thing to do on occasion-- but fully for FX or Music video or the like.

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Abel Cine

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape