#1 Jay Young

Jay Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lexington KY

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:06 PM

I have been trying to find a digital camera with a less sensitive sensor.

Three years ago the D-21 was exclaimed to be "more film like" even against the Alexa. Perhaps the new SXT model has gone beyond that claim.

Do those who used the camera feel it vould still be useful? Im shooting a show right now and lighting at asa 100 and 200 around T4/5.6. Mostly tungsten, with a tow plant its not an issue.

The D-21 seems to check all the boxes for my personal tastes in a camera: 2K, optical viewfinder, spinning shutter, low base iso.

I assume I could throw an SDI 2k recorder onboard and go? Im certainly not going HDCAM tape these days.

I guess no one shootes like me, and I dont get hired to shoot like everyone else. I assume its going to be hard to find openminded thoughs pn the subject, but I figured I would ask here, where the experience is.

When I first watched Downton Abbey, I thought it was a 35 millimeter show. It was not until two years later that I learned that it was a digital show, and it was not until last year that I learned that it was first shot on the D21.

I guess the real question is, if I have the power and the lighting units available and the D21 gives me the image that I like, why not use it?

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6965 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:23 PM

I quit liked the camera when I shot with it; though we end KiPro to HD, but man it was a nice system. I say go for it, hell why not?

#3 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Australia/Wherever The Wind Takes Me

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:55 AM

The weight, necessity of external recording, and requirement for 24v (I think) battery power, could make it a bit frustrating. But it certainly seems capable of creating nice imagery.

And having an Alexa Studio now, I can certainly vouch for the delightfulness of having an optical viewfinder for operating.

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Pro 8mm

Glidecam

CineLab

CineTape

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly