#1 Jay Young

Jay Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lexington KY

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:06 PM

I have been trying to find a digital camera with a less sensitive sensor.

Three years ago the D-21 was exclaimed to be "more film like" even against the Alexa. Perhaps the new SXT model has gone beyond that claim.

Do those who used the camera feel it vould still be useful? Im shooting a show right now and lighting at asa 100 and 200 around T4/5.6. Mostly tungsten, with a tow plant its not an issue.

The D-21 seems to check all the boxes for my personal tastes in a camera: 2K, optical viewfinder, spinning shutter, low base iso.

I assume I could throw an SDI 2k recorder onboard and go? Im certainly not going HDCAM tape these days.

I guess no one shootes like me, and I dont get hired to shoot like everyone else. I assume its going to be hard to find openminded thoughs pn the subject, but I figured I would ask here, where the experience is.

When I first watched Downton Abbey, I thought it was a 35 millimeter show. It was not until two years later that I learned that it was a digital show, and it was not until last year that I learned that it was first shot on the D21.

I guess the real question is, if I have the power and the lighting units available and the D21 gives me the image that I like, why not use it?

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7077 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:23 PM

I quit liked the camera when I shot with it; though we end KiPro to HD, but man it was a nice system. I say go for it, hell why not?

#3 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1021 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Australia/Wherever The Wind Takes Me

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:55 AM

The weight, necessity of external recording, and requirement for 24v (I think) battery power, could make it a bit frustrating. But it certainly seems capable of creating nice imagery.

And having an Alexa Studio now, I can certainly vouch for the delightfulness of having an optical viewfinder for operating.

#4 Carl Nenzen Loven

Carl Nenzen Loven
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Student
  • San Francisco

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:41 PM

I have been trying to find a digital camera with a less sensitive sensor.

Three years ago the D-21 was exclaimed to be "more film like" even against the Alexa. Perhaps the new SXT model has gone beyond that claim.

Do those who used the camera feel it vould still be useful? Im shooting a show right now and lighting at asa 100 and 200 around T4/5.6. Mostly tungsten, with a tow plant its not an issue.

The D-21 seems to check all the boxes for my personal tastes in a camera: 2K, optical viewfinder, spinning shutter, low base iso.

I assume I could throw an SDI 2k recorder onboard and go? Im certainly not going HDCAM tape these days.

I guess no one shootes like me, and I dont get hired to shoot like everyone else. I assume its going to be hard to find openminded thoughs pn the subject, but I figured I would ask here, where the experience is.

When I first watched Downton Abbey, I thought it was a 35 millimeter show. It was not until two years later that I learned that it was a digital show, and it was not until last year that I learned that it was first shot on the D21.

I guess the real question is, if I have the power and the lighting units available and the D21 gives me the image that I like, why not use it?

Hi there,

I just wanted to say I am looking for the same thing actually, wondering if it is still useable.

I tend to shoot a lot of film still, and I think it would be a good alternative for me, keeping the same limitations as film, while still shooting digital. Regardless, I don't really know of performance at 500 ISO, if it can output 444 through one SDI (because my recorder is 6g) and so on.

C

#5 mark mervis

mark mervis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Virginia

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:26 PM

I have bought and sold 15 D-21’s. I love this camera! The D-21 has some unique imaging characteristics when compared to the Alexa.This comes from the way the D-21’s auto defect pixel correction and auto black balance works.

As the mechanical shutter closes the camera compares the blanked out frame to a stored reference black and a defect pixel map. A correction mask is generated and applied to the subsequent frame. This algorithm produces a “random” film like grain. The colorametry is virtually the same as the Alexa but there is a more pronounced horizontal smear and slightly less dynamic range.

There are several notable drawbacks to the D-21 in 2017 that should be considered. 

1-The ISO is 200.

2-There is no internal recording.

3-Arriraw generated by the D-21 is unique. The Codex-M and the S.two OB-1 are the only reliable devices that can record this format. The Codex-S has D-21 menus but only accepts 3G input. D-21 only outputs 1.5G single, dual and quad link. (WTF Codex-S?)

4-The 12 bit D-21 Arriraw can only be debarred using the Arri ARC software and only allows output as massive DPX 10 or 16 bit files. (Resolve and Premier can work with DPX. The former can generate proxies to edit with and both can generate compressed prores options).

5-Though the sensor is 4:3 (2880 x 2160) and made to do anamorphic, like most Arri cameras you end up with a 2.66:1 image. So you need to crop down to 2.39:1 Unless you record D-21 Arriraw 2880x2160 you will dip below 1080 when cropped.

6-Most menus (white balance) must be accessed through a standard def. output.

Sooo, while the D-21 is an cool camera and makes beautiful images particularly in anamorphic, it is not plug and play. Simplest way to go? Get a Prores recorder and shoot HD. Thats basically how they did “Downton Abby.” 

“Arriflex D-21 2017 practicality" is in the timeline of the beholder.

Edited by mark mervis, 15 August 2017 - 02:28 PM.

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery