• Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Student
  • Ararat, Victoria Australia

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

I recently came across this:

http://www.ebay.com....jMAAOSwnF9Y6wTf

18 carts of Kodachrome sound film!  I would be interested to see how much they go for...

cheers, Gareth

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2281 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:26 AM

Yes, particularly as it can't be processed as colour reversal.

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4896 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:29 AM

The problem is getting Kodachrome processed.Some people are processing 35mm slides as black & white, but no colour.

#4 Dave Perry

Dave Perry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Roanoke

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:31 AM

Yes, particularly as it can't be processed as colour reversal.

Hi Mark. I'm not well versed in movie film. What can't it be processed as reversal? Isn't it reversal film?

#5 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4896 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:55 AM

Kodachrome uses a much more complex process than Ektachrome..

https://en.wikipedia...ki/K-14_process

#6 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2281 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:20 AM

I should have said "can no longer be processed". I thought the end of K14 processing was common knowledge.

#7 Andries Molenaar

Andries Molenaar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Amsterdam

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:01 AM

I recently came across this:

http://www.ebay.com....jMAAOSwnF9Y6wTf

18 carts of Kodachrome sound film!  I would be interested to see how much they go for...

cheers, Gareth

I have sold some Kodachrome DS-8 boxes to a collector to use as a showpiece along with a camera.

Nobody in his right mind should purchase these to expose and have them processed only into a faint sepia image.

Rescue film lives off found cartridges 30 years or more old which people want processed at a premium just to see if there is any family on it or if they themselves are on it, possibly as a toddler.

#8 Martin Baumgarten

Martin Baumgarten
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Plattsburgh, New York U.S.A.

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:18 PM

If the KODACHROME film is in good shape, thus of late manufacture and under 12-15 years old and stored well, or regardless of vintage and cold stored frozen since new, it should work fine and can be reversal processed as Black & White or Sepia, or as a either a high contrast negative or continuous tone negative (for those only wanting a negative film for transfer to a digital format).  I had begun working in sound striping Fomapan a few years ago so that I could have a B&W filmstock to shoot in Single System Sound Super 8mm, but there's so much KODACHROME still in existence in the hands of many filmmakers, with much of it cold stored either refrigerated or frozen, it's easier to just use that.

At the moment, there is a seller on eBay selling off his entire stock that has been kept refrigerated, both KODACHROME Sound, and EKTACHROME 160A Sound (as well as silent varieties) for $18 each, a bargain if they are truly usable compared to what it would cost privately to custom manufacture something similar.  All my film processing tests on my own stock of frozen films dating back to the late 1970s still show pretty good to very good color on the EKTACHROME films, and nice B&W results on the KODACHROME films.  NOTE:  B&W or Sepia Reversal processing of KODACHROME requires Push Processing to yield normal density for those films exposed at ISO 40(without builtin 85 Filter) or ISO 25 (with builtin 85 Filter), so there will be some grain and contrast buildup, depending on scene brightness range etc.  The only way around this is to expose the films at about ISO 15(w/o Filter) or ISO 10(with Filter).  Since it's easier to use the camera's metering system, as well as the advanced features allowing lap dissolves and fades on my SANKYO XL620 camera or Braun NIZO 6056 and similar cameras, I just use the cartridge indexing and push the films to compensate to gain normal density.

Before I get to image samples below, please allow me to add, that while enjoying the Super 8mm forum of this Cinematography group, I have to say, there has been far too many negative type comments from more seasoned professional cinematographers who in all reality are using 16mm and larger formats.  Unless what you have to say supports and helps the Super 8mm users or those desiring to use this film gauge despite whatever one's perceived bias is for or against it, don't post it here.  Consider sticking to the forum that is relative to what you are passionate about and are using for cinematography.  No offense is intended here, but those of us involved in Super 8mm should be helping each other, not someone who doesn't really care about this gauge and wants to just bash it because it's small, or doesn't have the high quality they desire etc etc.  I'm sure you all understand what I'm referring to.  Anyhow, thank you in advance for your consideration for this forum.

Those that are into processing their own Super 8mm cine films, and wish to do their own 'good' KODACHROME as Reversal or Sepia, it is quite doable at home [since virtually all of my custom lab cine film processing here is done via manual processing methods].  Many desire using older filmstocks for the unpredictability of results, or purposely for aging effects, as well as those wishing for predictable results with good quality.  Personally, I'd rather have B&W Sound Film than no sound film at all.  And there is still so much of it out in the form of KODACHROME.

I hope this helps answer some questions those of you might have being able to use older sound films. 

Below are some image samples taken directly from Super 8mm frames to show relative results from processing KODACHROME outdated film as B&W and Sepia Reversal.

BELOW:  KODACHROME film cold stored original expiration 1981, B&W Reversal Processed.

BW_5.jpg

BELOW:  Same batch of cold stored KODACHROME Sepia tone Reversal Processed, expiration 1981.

Sepia_5.jpg

BELOW:  KODACHROMEcustomer's film  that expired about 2005 and was processed as B&W Reversal 2015, thus 10 years past expiration, only room temp stored.

S8_BW_1.jpg

#9 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1996 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:29 PM

I should have said "can no longer be processed". I thought the end of K14 processing was common knowledge.

I've got the T-Shirt!

tshirt-500px-2.jpg   tshirt-500px-1.jpg

Quantum Music Works

CineLab

Pro 8mm

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets