#1 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1010 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:42 AM

Seriously considering selling multiple cameras I own just to have the 11 grand to own the Alexa. 2.7k, 14 stops of DR, in a nice simple ENG-like body.

For anyone who currently owns one or commonly rents them in contrast with other cameras, what are some things that still pop out as convenient to you after years of working with it?

What are some things it doesn't do so well?

Thank you.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11821 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:04 AM

They're really big and heavy and consume lots of power, and they don't do 4K. And they take really expensive media and almost exclusively PL lenses, which are also very expensive.

It is not like shooting an FS7.

Other than that, hard to object.

P

#3 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 737 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain / Ireland / South Africa

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:08 AM

I like the Alexa, I use it extensively and it doesn't bother me that I can't shoot 4K. 

Nobody is bothered about that to be honest, just Netflix, Hulu and etc and if you end up shooting for them, highly likely you're gonna have money to rent any other cameras that you like. 

Things I don't like about the Alexa Classic body:

- It is heavy.

- It is heavy

- It is heavy

If you are going to use it on sticks, the weight doesn't matter but if you're going to use it hand-held.. you better get an easyrig. 

Also, if you're going to spend money on an Alexa, make sure that records in 4444XQ, which is the best codec that you can get without shooting on ARRIRAW.

Again, what Phil said is true, it is not a 1-man camera. 

Have a good day.

#4 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:07 PM

The Alexa Classic is a lovely camera. You will need a very heavy duty tripod and PL mount lenses for it. And high quality ND filters. And realistically, it's only a 2K camera if you just record to SxS cards.

I don't find the Classic too heavy, not like the Alexa Plus. Easy to handhold, excellent viewfinder.

It is power hungry, you will need a lot of batteries. The usually rental house package is 8x Anton Bauer HCX 140wH battteries and 2x VCLX block batteries. You could probably cut the HCX order in half if you kept the blocks. If you just want to use on-board batteries, you'll want to have 8x per camera to shoot all day comfortably.

It is slow to boot up, I think it is about 40sec. But other than that it is so easy to use, change settings, go thru menus (what menus?). And the image looks great as soon as you point it at anything. I think you'll be very happy with it.

#5 Bertil Nilsson

Bertil Nilsson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:33 PM

Just to add that you don't have to use PL mount lenses with it, the lens mount is changeable (although not very quickly). I've got Nikon F-mount (in addition to the standard PL mount) that works great for me.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

The Slider

CineLab

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC