New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Glasgow

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:16 AM

Hello.

Has anyone been watching the new Twin Peaks, photographed by Peter Deming? I believe it was shot on the Amira, although were parts captured on 35? Many scenes have a very rough, almost documentary style with little stylisation, although others are completely the opposite.

It also sees a lot of VFX work and integration which is a first for David Lynch. 

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:02 PM

Yes - its great maybe I'll notice the lighting on the second or third watch but the first pass was full immersion into the dream.

Def going to get the wife one of those talking tree blob stick things at Christmas time

#3 Lucas Fletcher

Lucas Fletcher

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Glasgow

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:07 AM

Have any other users had a chance to check it out?

It's interesting aesthetically to me because it doesn't resemble any other of the high budget TV shows on the air right now, mainly in the sense it's not at all filmic and doesn't try to be. Very flat, very digital. Would hope Peter Deming will talk a little about how he approached it soon.

#4 Manu Delpech

Manu Delpech
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Director

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:55 AM

The parts on 35 you talk about were simply scenes pulled from Fire Walk With Me or the original Twin Peaks. Other than that, it does look very flat like you say, I'm not sure many people will comment here, there's not much to say imo. 

Twin Peaks to me, watching it for the first time on Netflix, has a lovely look and it is jarring to switch to digital, but Twin Peaks The Return looks fairly pedestrian, seeing a lot of the stuff on Netflix right now like Dear White People, or Glow (especially with the 2:00 AR), or other shows like The Leftovers or Fargo, I'd say it's one of the least cinematic shows around, I'd argue that actually it very much looks like some of the middle of the road stuff we otherwise see on TV.

It's probably sounding like I'm ripping into it, but imo The Return is the best Twin Peaks has ever been, and I don't think the visuals matter much here. I'm bummed Lynch didn't go for film, he said he would for this, had a change of heart.

#5 charles pappas

charles pappas

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student
  • austin, tx

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:21 PM

Hello, I've been wondering then if you know why Fotokem Lab would be credited each week for dailies and digital intermediates.  

#6 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2856 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:18 PM

Hello, I've been wondering then if you know why Fotokem Lab would be credited each week for dailies and digital intermediates.  

Perhaps because Fotokem, like all the remaining labs, have diversified into the digital world, and are producing dailies from original camera files, and misusing the term Digital Intermediate to refer to final color correction.

#7 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4156 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:13 AM

The parts on 35 you talk about were simply scenes pulled from Fire Walk With Me or the original Twin Peaks. Other than that, it does look very flat like you say, I'm not sure many people will comment here, there's not much to say imo. 

Twin Peaks to me, watching it for the first time on Netflix, has a lovely look and it is jarring to switch to digital, but Twin Peaks The Return looks fairly pedestrian, seeing a lot of the stuff on Netflix right now like Dear White People, or Glow (especially with the 2:00 AR), or other shows like The Leftovers or Fargo, I'd say it's one of the least cinematic shows around, I'd argue that actually it very much looks like some of the middle of the road stuff we otherwise see on TV.

It's probably sounding like I'm ripping into it, but imo The Return is the best Twin Peaks has ever been, and I don't think the visuals matter much here. I'm bummed Lynch didn't go for film, he said he would for this, had a change of heart.

That's a shame. I was sort of looking forward to seeing it and I'm not sure I'm as interested anymore.

It's funny I quite liked the idea of seeing Dunkirk too but I don't think I will see that either now.

Ah well.

Freya

#8 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:46 AM

That's a shame. I was sort of looking forward to seeing it and I'm not sure I'm as interested anymore.

It's funny I quite liked the idea of seeing Dunkirk too but I don't think I will see that either now.

Ah well.

Freya

Its well worth your effort (and effort is the correct term). Just to see how far Lynch has pushed television - its not like anything you've seen on TV before at all.

In terms of the visuals its very mixed and think thats intentional - you have some scenes that are very flat and static, almost mundane visually. Combined with many shots held much longer then comfortable. But then you have other shots that are full on Lynch abstract that are as bold visually as anything you will have seen in film or television. Episode 8 is both infuriating and genius in equal measure. 

More me its just a joy to see something each week thats going to be surprise - although I'm loosing patience with the whole Dougie Jones storyline (but thats probably the intention)

#9 Lucas Fletcher

Lucas Fletcher

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Glasgow

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:38 AM

Ah well.

Freya

So you'd avoid watching a film that doesn't have flashy cinematography? It's a great show. Lynch is pushing the envelope massively.

#10 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:56 AM

So you'd avoid watching a film that doesn't have flashy cinematography? It's a great show. Lynch is pushing the envelope massively.

It has the most flashy cinematography of any TV I've seen. If you define "flashy" as liberal use of Strobes.  You literally couldn't want for any more flashing lights.

https://media.giphy....jnjbi/giphy.gif

#11 Lucas Fletcher

Lucas Fletcher

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Glasgow

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:23 AM

Lynch loves his strobes :D 

The Slider