William Simmons
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:25 AM

Hello,

(A summary of my questions are bullet pointed below the first paragraph) 

I am looking at buying a Bolex with the purpose of doing a few short films and music videos over  the next 12 months . This will also be the first 16mm film camera I own and I good starting point before I move on to a 16sr3 advanced. I have done my research on the camera and most answers say the SBM, EBM and Rex 4 and 5 models are the best to convert to super 16. However I feel I need to ask a more basic question on what people in this forum would suggest, as I can ask more direct questions and hopefully get more specific answers. I know the basic benefits of converting to Super 16, but I'm more interested in what bolex model people would suggest is the best for the job. I could spend between £1,200-£1,500 on the camera but obviously if a cheaper option is just as good that'd be fantastic. I have seen some super 16 SBM for around $2,999 so yes! So here are my questions in summary.

-What is the best model in my price range to buy to convert to super 16?

-This may sound stupid but I know the issues with the beamsplitter and the widening of the viewfinder with conversion, but can a PL mount be put on the camera without it having undergone the conversion, as have read and seen people putting Zeiss super speeds on these cameras.

- If the new faceplate reads bolex H super 16, what bolex model was that before the conversion (again may sound stupid).

I do have more questions on the topic, but once I get a reply I may ask more ahah.

I am hoping to do a project in late June this year so If anyone has any information they might think is helpful that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Will

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 William Simmons

William Simmons
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:30 AM

BUMP

#3 Jean-Louis Seguin

Jean-Louis Seguin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Other
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

Ideally, try to get a late model with the 13x viewfinder which will be either a late RX5 or SBM. The electric cameras are also good candidates. Cost to convert bayonet mount cameras are slightly less than turret cameras (less work).

If you're planning on using Zeiss super speeds at their full open aperture on the Bolex, you will be disappointed. When stopped down somewhat, results may be acceptable. Stick to Kern Switar RX type lenses for wide and normal focal lengths.

#4 Glenn Brady

Glenn Brady
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:13 PM

There are adapters available that allow the use of PL mount lenses on Bolex bayonet mount cameras.  Bolex H Super 16 labelled cameras are factory-built Super 16 cameras.  

#5 William Simmons

William Simmons
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:50 AM

Thank you for your replies, very helpful advice! Bringing me closer to getting the right Bolex aha!

Thank you again 

#6 Arthur Sanchez

Arthur Sanchez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Producer
  • Tijeras, NM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:36 AM

Minimize your loading and film handling and us a Bolex EBM with 400' mag and ability to shoot long takes.... PLUS can be any format you want!

#7 daniel mahlknecht

daniel mahlknecht
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Italy - South Tyrol

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

I modified all my Bolexes to super16. It is not really dificult, you don't have even to relocate the lensmount, just move the filmgate sideways (drilling and milling is involved of course).

I would go for a RX5 as you can have the turret lens-mount and shoot 400ft rolls if you have the electric motor and a mag. Otherwise the SBM with its much stronger lensmount and combined with ESM motor and mag also 400ft capable. I'm not so fond of my EL but of course you dont need the extra motor, but no springdrive mecanism either...

The RX4 is also good, only no 400ft capability, but much cheaper.

#8 Arthur Sanchez

Arthur Sanchez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Producer
  • Tijeras, NM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:16 PM

WOW... moving the gate?????

that sounds like moving from one can of worms to a different can of worms

moving the gate involves the film path... why mess with perfection...???

#9 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1394 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:16 PM

Shifting the gate is a terrible idea! Like Arthur said, that's the film path! You're now making the film shift edgeways to sit at a different height from the sprockets and loop formers and spindles, among other potential issues. 

rebotnix Technologies

Lenser

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Tai Audio

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks