#1 Nathan Martin

Nathan Martin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:44 PM

anyone want to share info about lights they have made, or cheap lights found to be useful?
on my side i have made a makeshift 4' 4 bank kino flo out of crompton fluro battons and phillips tld 90 36w daylight tubes, all up it was about 130bux australian and gives some good light, however i understand that lino tungsten tubes must be bought because of the green spike in household tungsten tubes. Also ive found those 2 dollar push lights (dome lights) have been great for eyelight, and fill for lowlight closeups

#2 jeff

jeff
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:59 AM

Hi Nathan,
I just completed a shoot for a commercial that I am self-producing on a budget.
I created 2 soft boxes using home-depot halogen work lights but I did purchase units that had 2 filaments with a total of 750 watts for each light unit.

I then used insulation for water heaters (looks like bubble wrap with a reflective finish) to make the domes. I atteched the domes to the lights using a turntable bearing (for a bar stool) which acted as an insulator from the light to the dome and also allowed rotation of the dome.

Anyways, The two lights cost a grand total of about $120.00 and have worked out pretty well.

I am going to post another thread here to show my results and give thanks to the nice people here. should be around monday And I will place pics for all to see the details of how I built them.

#3 aartaxx

aartaxx
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:19 AM

That new Spiderlite inspired me to build two soft boxes with plywood and fixtures. I put 6 100 watt daylite energy saving bulbs in each and got a really nice 6500 Kelvin soft light out of them. I'm shooting a feature indoors this summer and a lot of it takes place during the day. I wanted units that won't generate much heat as there are tight quarters and lots of people and no air conditioning. Kino flo's were not in the budget so this was a easy and cheap way to get comparable light.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

The Slider

Tai Audio

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Opal

Wooden Camera

Technodolly