kris brady

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • dubai

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:08 AM

Has any one ever lit a car for sunset after its already dark on location? There are a few ways I can think of with large set ups or in a studio but in this case im looking for more of an on the go shoot with my largest light being a 1.2 my concern is that i want to avoid the light looking like a street light . I need to make sure there is enough ambient daylight. any thoughts would be much appreciated. thanks

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 AJ Young

AJ Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:32 PM

Is the car driving? Is "sunset" when the sun is still above the horizon or just below?

If parked, then lighting will be easy. Your biggest challenge becomes lighting the BG. A single 1.2 won't be enough to act as a key light and BG light.

If the sun is still above the horizon, then emulate the sun by keeping your light low and hard (the sun is close to the horizon after all, right???). If the sun has just gone below the horizon, then soft light becomes your friend. I still recommend a low key for the "below" the horizon light because technically the entire sky becomes the key light for the subject; therefore the horizon (which has the most remaining sunlight) is lighting your subject.

Quantum Music Works

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Lenser