New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Grip
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:07 PM

Hi All!,

So I'm doing a project in an upcoming month or so and I need suggestions. I'm shooting most likely on a BlackMagic 2.5k camera and am looking to achieve a "gritty" look. I understand that it's not just the camera or lenses solely that would help achieve this but I'm curious if there are any suggestions as far as lenses that would help me in the right direction. I've shot multiple times with Rokinons on different cameras and have noticed this has creating a "gritty" dark look but I'm looking for a step up from this. Also what filters would help with this too. ND filters I presume?

Thank you!

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19490 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:23 PM

ND filters allow you to open up the iris, which reduces depth of field, and the lens may be softer at its widest aperture, but whether or not that counts as "gritty" is up to you.  

I'm not sure what "gritty" means.  Some people might think it means a softer lens, to suggest something shot in the 1970's when movies were "grittier" but the lenses weren't as good as they are now, others might think the opposite because "grit" implies textures and to see fine textures, you need sharpness!

By "grit" do you mean a technically rougher image, more "mistakes" and artifacts, more noise/grain, more missed focus, more flares, more shakiness, etc?

#3 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

Some of those old russian Lomo lenses could be a good place to start. Also there's some PL mount bokeh effects lenses under the name "Helios 44" or something like that.

#4 Michael Rodin

Michael Rodin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Moscow / Riga

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:00 PM

I'd second the question, what exactly are you after? The aforementioned Lomo, for example, made all kinds of lenses in the Soviet era: moderately all-around soft with low microcontrast, center-sharp and edge-soft, high-resolution with pretty strong contrast, really soft portait, etc. Take two 75mm T2 Lomos - a late OKC17-75 and an OKC1-75 -  both are 6-element Double Gauss, but performance (and "look" or "feel" as a result) is radically different. Then there's "75mm soft" and prototypes... it's almost that no 2 Lomos are the same :)

Those bokeh effect lenses must be Helios 40-2, known for swirly bokeh and very bad edge definition (which can be an advantage for a portrait lens).

CineLab

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

The Slider

CineTape

Glidecam