Theo Angell

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Seattle

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:19 PM

Trying to figure out which 10:1 and 12:1 zoom lenses cover the Alexa Mini at 3.2k. Any personal experiences? I know the old Cookes and Angenieuxs as well as the Angenieux Optimo 24-290 won't cover.

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1407 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:02 AM

I don't have the combination on hand to test, but you might find the 24-290 is OK. According to the Arri sensor coverage data sheet for Alexa Mini the image circle diameter required for 3.2K 1.78 is 30.3mm, which is only fractionally larger than Angenieux's conservative 30mm image circle diameter figure for the 24-290. To put it in perspective, a very slight aspect ratio change to 1.85 reduces the image circle requirement to 30mm. The image circle of zooms is often smallest at the wide end and quickly expands, so it may be fine from say 25-290.

The older Angenieux and Cooke 10x zooms tend to be around a 28mm image circle diameter at the wide end, so definitely won't cover through their whole ranges.

I can't think of any other modern 10 or 12x zooms that wouldn't cover a 30.3mm image circle, but you could check manufacturer specs or available image circle databases.

#3 Theo Angell

Theo Angell

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Seattle

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:55 AM

Thanks Dom, we will test the 24-290, there are indeed conflicting reports, but most agree that there is vignetting (one person actually said all the way up to 70mm). We'll we how bad it is.

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Visual Products

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider