#1 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:22 AM

Another forum member has very kindly messaged me that I was owed money ! from my work as a cameraman being used, copied,shown on the internet, etc.. from some European countries ..Finland,Germany,Norway,Sweden ..in these countries the DP also has copyright fees.. !

Ive done quite alot of work for German production companies.. but also some UK programs are in the list..

I had no idea .. !!

The above non profit organization was set up in the UK by BECTU,BSC,GBCT and a few others to keep track of these payments ..

Just thought I,d flag it up here.. as there might be some other DP,s on this forum owed some money.. its not a huge amount but its well worth collecting.. and some more to come it seems.. 

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6995 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:31 AM

Which above non profit?

#3 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2305 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:04 PM

http://www.screencra...g/about_us.html

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11762 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:44 PM

Fear this will mainly end up further enriching people who are already doing quite well, as these collection agencies often do. Not to sound too sour grapes, but those of us whose stuff ends up on YouTube and continues to make money for giant corporations for years aren't ever likely to see this, and we tend to get paid far less in the first place.

#5 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:40 PM

Its not really a collection agency..they aren't taking a % cut .. (there is a one off $35 membership fee)..its non profit and set up by BECTU,BSC,GBCT and some others, just to collect rights for people that otherwise wouldn't know or get them..  I think its to be encouraged really  .. DP,s should get rights :).. its also editors, production designers, directors .. 

Some of the productions ,Im getting some meagre payments for ,were small budget productions , I do plenty of corp shoots too..  and I guess its a different kettle of fish..you sell your soul to the devil.. my advise would be to charge alot more for the corps,than the docs.. its the consumers that are paying for it all anyway.. its no cost to the actual client companies at all.. 

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11762 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:23 AM

Well I think everyone should get this sort of stuff, inasmuch as it's a degree of profit participation, but that might be a bit difficult to administer.

#7 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:48 AM

Well I think everyone should get this sort of stuff, inasmuch as it's a degree of profit participation, but that might be a bit difficult to administer.

In an ideal world maybe :).. but something like a corp or a commercial .. you are sort of selling your soul.. the sole purpose is to flog something to the unsuspecting masses.. I don't expect rights for that work.. but I think/know they can pay a decent rate as the consumer is paying for it anyway..

Edited by Robin R Probyn, 15 July 2017 - 06:50 AM.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Visual Products

CineTape

Ritter Battery