New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Director
  • Texas

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:09 AM

Hello all!

I'm new to cinematography.com and am excited to start participating in different forums. I've posted this question in a couple different forums not knowing which would be the best place.

I am going to be working on a project soon and want to shoot super 16mm. I have been looking at cameras online to buy and have come across some decently priced Aaton XTRs from various countries outside the U.S. My concern is that some sellers have mentioned that they are PAL cameras. Can anyone tell me if this will matter when shooting the film? I have heard mixed opinions about it just referring to frame, rate in which case I can adjust the camera's frame rate. Others have told me that I will constantly have flicker due to electricity in the US. Will I be able to use the camera or should I look for something else?

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2804 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:24 AM

PAL and NTSC are video standards, and have nothing to do with film. An XTR should be able to shoot at 25fps for a PAL Transfer, or at 24fps for an NTSC transfer (at 23.98fps).

In terms of flicker, it's possible that you might see flicker from discharge light sources if you were shooting at 25fps in the USA. This is because when shooting at 25fps you would usually have a 180 degree shutter which gives you a shutter speed of 1/50 of a second. In a country where the power supply is 60hz, that can cause visible flicker from non continuous lighting like sodium streetlamps. The solution is to shoot at 24fps with a 172.8 degree shutter, which gives you a shutter speed of 1/60 of a second, matching the 60hz power supply, which is what just about everyone does in the US, although TV sometimes shoots at 29.97fps with a 180 degree shutter, which again gives you a 1/60 second shutter speed.

It's been a long time since I used an Aaton, but I believe the shutter angle is field-adjustable between 180 and 172.8 degrees

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

The Slider

Tai Audio

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Glidecam