19 replies to this topic

#1 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2014 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:49 AM

Brilliant of Kodak to market Super 8 this way. Good to see them stepping up a little on that front.

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1300 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:01 AM

Does YouTube deliver differently in Europe and in the US? I watched the vid repeatedly but could not make out the slightest reference to Kodak or Super-8. I mean, Cara does look nice. Will?

#3 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2014 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:08 PM

Try the link from Kodak's site...

http://www.kodak.com...gne/default.htm

#4 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2014 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:10 PM

I watched the vid repeatedly but could not make out the slightest reference to Kodak or Super-8. I mean, Cara does look nice. Will?

Watching it several more times would probably be good professional research.  ;)

#5 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:08 PM

I think he meant to link this

#6 Perry Paolantonio

Perry Paolantonio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, MA

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:17 AM

jeez. the color is awful on that. Again.

Kodak keeps promoting S8 with these videos that look awful. I don't get it. 

#7 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1646 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:14 PM

I agree. Not that inspiring cinematography either. I wonder where and on what the transfer was done??

#8 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1646 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:17 PM

Nice to see the new super 8 camera in action though!! When is it going on sale??!!!???

#9 Moises Perez

Moises Perez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:06 PM

I also received the email from Kodak with a subject line that read: "Sci-Fi meets Super 8 with Cara Delevingne" I was very disappointed with the film that I reply right away letting them know my feelings, and hopping they change the way they use and promote this camera.

Here is what I said in my email:

Hello,

My name is Moises Perez, a.k.a. MOY. I'm a Super 8 filmmaker. I just want to say that I'm very disappointed with all the footage I've seen so far from this "NEW CAMERA" And specially with this Cara Delevingne's Sci-Fi footage because it looks just OUT OF FOCUS. I hope this was an artistic choice rather than the lack of cinematography skills, or even worst, I hope this is not the camera's inability to focus an image correctly. If so, you guys need to correct this issue before the release of the camera to the public. This problem, in my opinion, would kill the Super 8mm film market and specially this great opportunity of developing a brand new camera for this great film format.

I also hope to get an answer from you.

Sincerely,

MOY

I must say that they haven't yet responded to me.

#10 Moises Perez

Moises Perez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

I meant to say "hoping" not "hopping"

MOY

#11 Giray Izcan

Giray Izcan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:46 PM

The new camera doesn't look any different than a 50 dollar s8 camera in my opinion. Then again, what could you expect from super8? It's a consumer product and love its quality for what it is.

#12 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:44 PM

Yeah I was about to say, a prosumer push for 16 would be time better spent. I've never seen super8 that didn't immediately look like super8.

#13 Giray Izcan

Giray Izcan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:40 PM

Nothing wrong with it. I like s8 as s8. I wouldn't try to replicate 16 with s8. I would shoot it for its own aesthetics.

#14 Perry Paolantonio

Perry Paolantonio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, MA

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:16 AM

I've seen (and we scanned) some footage from the new camera, that looked absolutely fantastic. Very crisp and stable. Nothing like what Kodak has been showing publicly though.

Edited by Perry Paolantonio, 19 July 2017 - 07:16 AM.

#15 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4156 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:43 AM

I agree. Not that inspiring cinematography either. I wonder where and on what the transfer was done??

I can't remember the name of the transfer house. It was a low budget transfer house in London. It's not great which I'm sure is what you are implying but they normally get some quite good results considering. Personally I wouldn't want to shoot colour neg and then cheap out on the transfer but I might feel different about Tri-X! ;)

The big problem with this footage however is the first bit of your post. It really is quite badly shot and thrown together. The edit isn't especially cut to the soundtrack unless it's a sync problem on my netbook and the framing is generally poor. The should have been more daring and gone wide more too.

Anyway I think it's okay but a bit of a missed opportunity what with the robot stuff. 

It could have been something more for sure.

Freya

#16 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4156 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:49 AM

Nothing wrong with it. I like s8 as s8. I wouldn't try to replicate 16 with s8. I would shoot it for its own aesthetics.

I also really like Super8. I like the fact it is somewhat different. I really like different looks in films and being able to create a different feel through different formats and cameras, as well as filmstock and lenses etc.

I'd actually rather shoot Tri-X in Super8 than 16mm to really make it more grainy and punk looking. I feel that shooting in Super8 is embracing the strength of that stock in a way....

#17 christophernigel

christophernigel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

I also really like Super8. I like the fact it is somewhat different. I really like different looks in films and being able to create a different feel through different formats and cameras, as well as filmstock and lenses etc.

I'd actually rather shoot Tri-X in Super8 than 16mm to really make it more grainy and punk looking. I feel that shooting in Super8 is embracing the strength of that stock in a way....

Freya  Amen sister !

#18 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:19 AM

I really cannot understand why Kodak hasn't asked some folks who shoot a lot of 8mm to take the camera and make something impressive. Give them the camera and a boatload of free film.

No question I could do something fantastic with that camera were I given the chance. WTH is Kodak doing?

#19 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1047 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:20 PM

No question I could do something fantastic with that camera were I given the chance. WTH is Kodak doing?

That's all I need to know.. is what will I do with it. Only concerned with my own focus, exposure, and grading. I think they are actually trying to show off the rough aesthetic because realistically It looks like what most chippies are shooting. Folks who are already experienced enough to squeeze the format to the max are probably the minority among the market they are trying to tap. We will squeeze it anyway because we already know we can. If they start showboating beyond what beginners can expect at first, beginners may feel like they've been duped if they fall short at first. 

#20 Josh Gladstone

Josh Gladstone
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Editor
  • Hollywood

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:39 PM

I think this is looking a bit better!

https://www.facebook...73261012795891/

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly