#1 Hunter O'Shea

Hunter O'Shea
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:25 PM

Can anyone offer any tips on how to open these batteries and re cell them myself?
Thank you!

- Hunter O'Shea

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 Michael Rodin

Michael Rodin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Moscow

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:05 AM

Recelling's possible but not easy to do well. Are you familiar with spot welding? Li-ion cells are generally not meant to be soldered.

#3 Hunter O'Shea

Hunter O'Shea
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:20 PM

I'm familiar with spot welding. I just don't know how to open the plastic casing without breaking it.
Thanks Michael.

- Hunter

#4 Robert Hart

Robert Hart
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:44 AM

If you are going to tamper with lithium cells, it may be best not to. If you must, then do it outside, not inside your house. Wear fire resistant personal protection. Chances are, the electronics inside of the AB battery may not work after they have been disturbed or somehow will not play nice with the new cells.

#5 Michael Rodin

Michael Rodin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Moscow

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:12 AM

I'd try to deep discharge the original cells and put in similarly discharged replacement ones after getting them through a couple cycles on a seperate "smart" charger with a balancer - so that the A/B charger will start to "rejuve" and more likely recognize it as a Dionic.

But ask those who've recelled A/B lithium, my suggestion could be a wrong one.

Edited by Michael Rodin, 25 July 2017 - 03:13 AM.

#6 Hunter O'Shea

Hunter O'Shea
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:17 AM

Thank you for the response. I understand the risk. I just need to know how to open the case.
Thanks.

- Hunter

#7 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1433 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:35 PM

I suspect they make them difficult to recell for a reason. No industry electronics tech I know has tried. You'll most likely damage the casing trying to get it open, or end up with issues with the electronics after recelling. But let us know if you manage it. :)

#8 Robert Hart

Robert Hart
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:15 PM

There is likely a special vice to depress the concealed latches to start the separation of the two halves of the case. There are visible four small rectangles top and bottom in one half of the case. These are actually extensions from the opposite case half, They depress to release but it is a little harder than that. The ends have latch ridges which have to be forced as well.

In absence of the proper tool, each latch can be forced by inserting the tip of a 1/8th" broad bladed jeweller's screwdriver into the tight join between the two case halves at a latch point, wedging it in towards the latch raising the opposing case edge over the latch, jamming it in as far as you can then levering up so the latch is depressed. You will need to have another jeweller's screwdriver to shove in to keep the latch depressed whilst you then use a third jeweller's screw driver to wedge the two halves of the case apart at that point. 

The plastic is tough but chances are you will crack it. You will most definitely injury the finish. Chances are you will at least once put the jeweller's screwdriver fair through the web between fingers one and two if you are not careful and it slips. Take care with those screwdriver ends. You will likely injure the circuit board immediately below or puncture a lithium cell in which case you are in for a big surprise. As holding wedges, once you have an edge raised, it is safer to use wooden satay skewers. 

There should be findable at this website, an image which shows a Dionic in bits. The site counsels quite strongly against amateur recelling of Lithium Ion batteries. Compared to playing with Ni-MH cells, Lithiums are a high science fraught with danger. 

http://www.rathbonee..._rebuilding.htm

#9 Hunter O'Shea

Hunter O'Shea
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:43 PM

Thank you Robert. Exactly the information I was looking for!

- Hunter

#10 Robert Hart

Robert Hart
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:53 AM

Better you found it out from a reliable source with all the warnings rather than venture in blindly as you may have otherwise done. - Please take incredible care and PLEASE do not ignore the use of personal protective equipment, particularly head and eye protection. - A lifetime of disability is not worth the saving of a few dollars. 

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport