Photo

Music Video entirely shot on film (Super 35 and Super-8)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Henriquez Ilic

Daniel Henriquez Ilic
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Other
  • Santiago, Chile

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:28 PM

I have shot the music video of "Ellos no pueden" (They can't), a song from Rezuzitaun new album of the chilean Hip Hop band Rezonancia.

This music video, was entirely shot on film (except end credits), in Super 35 and Super-8 formats. Locations were Santiago de Chile, Viña del Mar and Unihue, Maule region.

The stocks were Kodak 5203 (50 ASA daylight Vision3) in 35mm, and 7203 and Double X in Super-8 / Max-8.  The XX black and white negative were custom loads of Eastman Kodak 5222; that I did request to Pro8mm.

The cameras were Arriflex 435 Xtreme, a Pro8 Classic Max8 with a permanent PL to C Mount adapter, a Quarz 1x8S-2 and a Zeiss Ikon Moviflex MS8.  On the 435 Xtreme we used mainly a Cooke 15-40 zoom and few shots with Carl Zeiss Ultra Prime 50mm and Master Prime 50mm.  The Pro8 Classic camera was used with an Ultra Prime lens 50mm and with an Helios58mm (with PL adapter).

All the 35mm footage was developed at FotoKem; whilst the Super-8 color negative was developed at Pro8mm. The super-8 XX black and white negative was hand-developed in Chile, into D-76 or Ilford DD-X (depending on the cartridge).  In total around 1200 feet of 35mm color negative and around 190 feet of Super-8 were shot for this project.

All the footage was then scanned to 2K1556 DPX RGB 16-bit Log/flat at the same great Labs in Los Angeles area.

The digital intermediate post-production was done using the 2K DPX files; using a 1920x1080 timeline, within da Vinci Resolve 14 beta software (YRGB color science).  Almost all the VFX work was done inside da Vinci Resolve with some auxiliary work done with AFX and Adobe Photoshop.  The color grading was done using a Rec 709 monitor.

This Music Video was broadcasted by a free to air TV channel in Santiago de Chile, a month ago and then released to internet via YouTube. 

Link:

Edited by Daniel Henriquez Ilic, 09 August 2017 - 09:30 PM.

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1646 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

Your video looks great!! Watching the black and white, I thought, Why not just use 7266 in Super 8? 

#3 James Compton

James Compton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:50 PM

Well done, Daniel !! I am glad to see you are still shooting film in Chile. I was very impressed when I first watched your 'Halengurous' project shot on Super 8, scanned at 2k. You have come a long way. Keep up the good work.

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC