#1 mtower

mtower

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:50 PM

I'm an absolute beginner shopping for my first camera. I am wondering if I shoot with the DVX100A in NTSC, can I then convert the output for later playing on PAL systems as well as NTSC? Does this happen in the post-production?
Thanks,
Marty

#2 drew_town

drew_town
  • Sustaining Members
  • 383 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Southeast US

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:16 PM

I'm an absolute beginner shopping for my first camera.  I am wondering if I shoot with the DVX100A in NTSC, can I then convert the output for later playing on PAL systems as well as NTSC?  Does this happen in the post-production?
Thanks,
Marty

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are both hardware and software solutions to that problem called "standards conversion." It is a post process.

#3 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:43 PM

You can send it out to a good dub house and have a conversion done, the real time box that works pretty well is called Alchemist.

The biggest problem with NTSC to PAL is shots that have pans in them or where the camera moves ie an aerial. Locked off shots can convert well, the real test is what happens with moving camera shots.

Don't let a sales man fool you into thinking that you can do this easily with FCP or Premiere. You can export NTSC video as PAL using these edit packages but the PAL shots will have lots of distortion in them when the camera moves. Only a locked off shot with little movement will work well.

R,

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:59 AM

Hi,

Actually you can do reasonable "slow PAL" conversions with cheap tools, that is convert NTSC to a 24-frame rate using selective fields and then "assume" the result is PAL. This doesn't work so well the other way, though.

PAL to NTSC looks far better.

Phil

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

CineLab