#1 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1643 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:39 AM

Interesting article about making of Detroit.. esp anyone thinking of using Alexa mini with s16 zooms.. or as a light weight hand held setup.. 

http://www.icgmagazi...eb/shots-fired/

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3288 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:29 AM

Wonder what kept them away from film, they didn't really explain it well.

I've never seen anyone use the cropped mode on an Alexa before, so it may look interesting with that S16 glass.

#3 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1643 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:31 AM

Yes I wondered about that too.. he loves film.. Im sure that took some persuading ..  I dont know if budget had some thing to do with it.. I doubt it... and not an effects film thats for sure.. I think it might have come down to being able to do longer takes.. less re loads.. with 4 cameras rolling.. ?.. or having instant replay.. the only logical things I can think of ..  I guess as long as he had his beloved S16 zooms it didn't matter so much.. after he was shown it could be made to look very similar to film .. ?

#4 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3288 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:31 AM

All good ideas, I think it was a combination of all that + the night time shooting. They probably looked at the entire thing and were like hmm.

#5 KH Martin

KH Martin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Other
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:26 PM

I did an interview with the DP for DIGITAL VIDEO that hasn't come out yet. He was won over to digital largely on the basis of director needing to shoot with so many cameras jammed into whatever cranny was available. He thought that using the 16 lenses with digital was kind of a 'best of both worlds' hybrid approach.

#6 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1643 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:46 PM

Ok thanks for the info.. size wise I,d have thought an Aaton would be a tiny bit smaller.. but to avoid reloads every 10 mins must have been a big reason..  I wonder if he will go "digital " considering the type of multi cam/"doc" style he favors ..I think its more the S16 zoom lenses he likes.. as long as the camera is sort of like Aaron size and balance.. cant see him toting a big Alexa around.. maybe the mini/Pana cage.. will convince alot of the ex Aaton guys who have moved up to features .. 

Abel Cine

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Glidecam