K3 Super16mm Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kenny Suleimanagich

Kenny Suleimanagich
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:18 AM

Hello, I was recently given my first film camera which is a mint K3 converted to super16. K3 camera says with the conversion it is not wise to zoom while shooting. But others have told me that they did it and had no problem. I want your guys' knowledge on this as the scripts i have written contain occaisional slow disclosures.

Thank you!!

K

#2 obie williams

obie williams
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:35 AM

The best thing to do would be to experiment by simply looking through the viewfinder and zooming at the desired speed. A slow disclosure shouldn't cause any problems. Your optical center remains in the middle of the previous 4:3 gate, but this is not a big deal. Compose and zoom while keeping in mind that extra 20% of frame that doesn't exist in your viewfinder.You may want to look into investing in a 35mm zoom if you haven't already... according to K3camera the stock lens, which isn't exactly a paragon of clarity anyway, may not fully cover super16 below 27mm, and this may manifest itself as vignetting on the left side of your frame. If your lens doesn't cover it, you have no method of knowing because the vignette may exist outside of the viewable area in your viewfinder. I am currently modding my k3 out and have been looking into methods to center my lens on the newly extended gate but every option seems to be messy and risky. I also wish that there was an easy way of going about extending the viewfinder to 16:9... I recently did this mod to my camera only to find out that to properly see in widescreen the focusing ground glass needed to be changed, the image channel routed, and the prism base filed out. I would rather tape a porkchop to my face and climb into a den of badgers than undertake this monumental feat.

#3 Jake Bryant

Jake Bryant

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:58 AM

I've done the super16 mod and found the Zenit lens does vignet. Im using a set of pentax super takemar lenses and they are fantastic! have just completed a documentary series in Antarctica shooting on varicam but shot 1600ft of super16 on my modified k3 and its fantastic! mostly landscapes and transitions but as good as I would have expected from the Crystal Cync Arri BL.

#4 Dennis Kisilyov

Dennis Kisilyov
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:12 AM

I've done the super16 mod and found the Zenit lens does vignet. Im using a set of pentax super takemar lenses and they are fantastic! have just completed a documentary series in Antarctica shooting on varicam but shot 1600ft of super16 on my modified k3 and its fantastic! mostly landscapes and transitions but as good as I would have expected from the Crystal Cync Arri BL.

Post some stills!!!
....................... Please. :-).

#5 Jake Bryant

Jake Bryant

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:26 PM

Post some stills!!!
....................... Please. :-).

The project is currently in post but will try and have some stills scaned, The pictures were a real! surprise and I was probably a bit over excited at the results, I think saying they are as good as the pics off my crystal sync BL might have been a bit over enthusiastic!:-) you deffinately couldnt do sync sound and it does jump very! occasoinally. Sorry about the miss information but the pics are beautiful!! especially the overcranked images wich were also remarkibly steady but the lenses are what made them a real surprise, the camera will always be a $200 camera but deffinately the best S16 for your dollar.
Will post some pics asap

#6 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:46 AM

The project is currently in post but will try and have some stills scaned, The pictures were a real! surprise and I was probably a bit over excited at the results, I think saying they are as good as the pics off my crystal sync BL might have been a bit over enthusiastic!:-) you deffinately couldnt do sync sound and it does jump very! occasoinally. Sorry about the miss information but the pics are beautiful!! especially the overcranked images wich were also remarkibly steady but the lenses are what made them a real surprise, the camera will always be a $200 camera but deffinately the best S16 for your dollar.
Will post some pics asap

The quality of picture make optical characteristics of lens ( an 90% ).
The total quality of footage make quality of camera, mechanism and motor.

If you wish have steady footages, you need use of camera with precision transport mechanism and crystal synch speed motor.
You can make test with different lenses of russian ( OKS, OPF ), Japen, German ( Zeiss, Schneider ), Franch ( Angenueux ), UK ( Cooke ) lenses and choose of lens with better style of image for you.

You can make a test with different lenses : Russian ( OKS, OPF ), Japanese, German ( Zeiss, Schneider ), Franch ( Angenueux ), UK ( Cooke ) lenses and choose of lens with better style of image for you.
You can use lenses from photo cameras too.

As for me, i love to use a lenses from medium format photo cameras with 35 mm Konvas-2M. ( Kaleynar-3, Carl Zeiss Sonnar, Jupiter-36 )

#7 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:35 PM

Man, old topic. I can't even access that account anymore, that was back when I didnt have a computer of my own.

#8 Jake Bryant

Jake Bryant

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:09 AM

you have come allong way then.

The Slider

Visual Products

Glidecam