Photo

Industry input on daughters career path with a portfolio website question mixed in

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:49 PM

Well more women on set have some practical advantages for the producer.  Women are about 90% LESS likely to sexually harass opposite sex members of the crew.  This is an on going problem with male crew members.  Women crew are also a lot less likely to be abusing alcohol during a shoot, another on going problem with men.  Women crew members also tend to swear a lot less than men as well, and tell lurid sexual jokes on set.  (Although everyone appreciates a well placed, "That's what she said," while filming is under way.) :)

So in conclusion, I wish a lot of men would clean up their acts on set.  I have a long list of men that will never be coming back onto any of my sets due to very poor conduct.  That list only has two women on it.

R,

#62 Michael LaVoie

Michael LaVoie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 September 2017 - 03:58 PM

I have a long list of men that will never be coming back onto any of my sets due to very poor conduct.  That list only has two women on it.

R,

That's surprising given the fact that many of your films were family oriented with child actors on set a lot of the time.  I would expect that to keep people on their best behavior.  

After these mishaps are you more inclined to want to weigh in when crew are hired or do you rely on the UPM and their recommendations?  What steps would you recommend a producer take to avoid hiring crew that may be distracting or even dangerous on set?  

#63 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:42 PM

I have imposed strict no swearing rules on set for all four of my family features.  It usually takes the crew 4-5 days to get that I am actually serious about it.

Maybe you'd like to hear about the fist fight that broke out at the wrap party on Against The Wild 2.

R,

#64 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:07 PM

What qualifies as a swear though?

#65 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11947 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:26 AM

I've tried to make that rule, but I always !"@?ing break it.

#66 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:15 AM

Well the no swearing rule can be broken on set at anytime by the producer under certain circumstances, i.e., someone hands me a bill that is five times over the original quote. :)

R,

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

CineTape

Opal

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS