Photo

Pl mount to canon EF adpater, deeper back.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Thomas Fisch

Thomas Fisch
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Director
  • Prague

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:21 PM

Hello,

Please, I need your help. 

I own a set of vintage Lomo anamorphic prime, PL mount, fits on Arri PL camera. Deep back distance, more than 14 mm.

And I would like to use this lenses on my Canon C300 EF camera.

What kind of adapter could I use ?

Is there a way to use these Lomos PL mount on my Canon C300 EF cam ?

I took a look on ebay, but all adapters I watched are limited to 14 mm maximum flange distance.

I have found KCW ™ Technica adapters. Especially the V2-A version. But sold out on the official website.

Anyone have an idea ?

I know I have to use a lens support because of the Lomo square front lens weight. I don't want to crash my Canon C-300 EF mount.

thanks for your answers.

#2 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:22 PM

Adapters need to make sure a PL lens won't hit the mirror, contact block or baffles on an EF camera.

Even with the most generous adapter you need the rear throat of the PL mount itself to protrude back no more than about 6.5mm (since it will hit the EF locking flange and with 8mm difference in flange depth that leaves about 1.5mm of material), and if the lens barrel itself protrudes further it must be less than about 46mm diameter (sometimes much less depending on the adapter) and not go further than about 14mm before it hits the contact block inside the bottom of the C300 mount. You could feasibly remove the contact block to allow some more protrusion. The block is stepped, so if the lens barrel is under 40mm diameter you could protrude back to about 20mm without removing the block.

I don't know what lenses you have and how far each protrudes, but you could measure them yourself to see what's possible, and maybe have an adapter machined out a little if it still blocks the rear of the lens. I don't think you'll have much luck except for maybe longer focal lengths, and even then you'd probably need to get the PL mount throat machined back.

Visual Products

CineTape

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Abel Cine

The Slider

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

CineLab