#1 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:59 PM

What stocks were used on Sex in the City? To me that series is the best example of 16mm potential. I have read on Kodaks website that they used 500asa stocks but that is hard to believe. I have come from the television arena and am new to film. I assume that a big part of the great look was great lighting and a good transfer. What is the cleanest tungsten stock that will come close to the look of 35mm on video. Or is the transfer more important?

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:52 AM

What stocks were used on Sex in the City? To me that series is the best example of 16mm potential. I have read on Kodaks  website that they used 500asa stocks but that is hard to believe. I have come from the television arena and am new to film.  I assume that a big part of the great look was great lighting and a good transfer.  What is the cleanest tungsten stock that will come close to the look of 35mm on video. Or is the transfer more important?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even with the image quality of the Kodak VISION2 stocks, choose the slowest stock you have enough light for to get the finest grain and sharpest image, especially for 16mm production. Kodak VISION2 500T Color Negative Film 7218 is a great film, but 7205 would be a better choice for daylight or HMI, and either 7217 or 7212 would have finer grain if you have the light. With lots of daylight, 7245 is still the best choice for lowest graininess:

http://www.kodak.com...omparison.jhtml

http://www.kodak.com...0.1.4.4.4&lc=en

#3 Michael Most

Michael Most
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:10 PM

What stocks were used on Sex in the City? ..... I assume that a big part of the great look was great lighting and a good transfer. 

No disrespect to either you or the cameraman who shot it, but personally I always felt that Sex And The City (it's not "Sex In The City") was a rather average looking show that I could spot as a 16mm production from across the room. That's not to say that you can't do a 16mm with great production values, where the end result can fool a number of viewers into thinking it's 35mm. Some current productions that come to mind as fulfilling this include One Tree Hill, Veronica Mars, and Law & Order Trial By Jury (since cancelled). All of these are shot primarily on 7218, although both One Tree and Veronica have been known to use some 7217, and some 7245 for some day exterior work (I believe Billy Dickson has also used 7212 on One Tree, at least I seem to recall him mentioning it..). Since SATC wrapped before (I believe) the Vision 2 line was available, they most likely used 7279 and 7274, with slower stocks like 7248 used for exterior work.

#4 Jon Rosenbloom

Jon Rosenbloom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:34 PM

I'm pretty sure the John Thomas, DP from New York, who has posted here was one of the DP's on SATC. (How many JT's can there be?)

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC