New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Student
  • Ljubljana, Slovenija

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:27 AM

Hi guys!

Ok so I'm not an experienced editor or anything like that. I had cinematography at university and when we were editing video we unfortunately never used anything as advanced as Premiere Pro so I had to learn everything myself. Like everything else.

Anyway I haven't had much problems with it just twice but the two times are the most troublesome of all making me thing either something really wrong with my workflow or the PC isn't up to the job or something is really wrong with the software.

So here's my usual work flow.

1st. organize footage on drive and setup the directory structure of the project (usually the same for all) and then I sort the footage into folders.

2nd. I then make a project file and import the footage (that's when the proxy files get generated)  and organize it further in Premiere.

3rd. start creating a timeline or multiple depending on the complexity of the project. Usually I edit parts of the project on separate timelines and then bring stuff together in another timeline and then add everything onto another timeline to add stuff like titles or different kinds of stuff. Sometimes I need to replace some footage with sequences from After Effects or do audio in Audition. Both of these links work fine.

4th I go back into the different timelines and color correct the footage between each other so that it sort of matches with each other. Then go into the timeline where they come together and match them together so that it matches or if needed color grade the sequences as needed each. Then if needed I color grade the whole thing.

5th the I check everything turn of the effects do maybe some reediting and add the ending splash footage and I'm ready for exporting

6th kick on the last timeline containing just the finished sequence and queue it in media encoder and render it out.

Most of the time everything works great .

But on one of the projects I had a problem with rendering because it kept failing in because of the Lumetri Color Plugin that kept crashing either Premiere or Encoder while rendering using the GPU. Fixed that by not rendering with GPU. Rendered for hours a 7 minute project. But never found an explanation what was wring accept maybe drivers (witch were updated) and or maybe a bug in Adobe.

But the last project was the biggest problem and I actually used more time trying to export the thing than editing it. Witch is really screwed up.

Anyway the problem was that project rendered previews fine in Premiere. But the moment I tried to render it out it got stuck and cycled forever until killing the process. Same thing if I queued it into Encoder it would run and then even before encoding the audio just stand still. No logs found or errors or anything. Didn't help if I tried with or without the GPU. Finally I got it working somehow by clearing cashes and then resetting all plugins and interfaces and deleting all the previews and anything else I could find. Granted I had an additional problem that Encoder now showed that Media Offline but fixed that by killing Encoder and starting it back again and somehow worked.

Anyway before this problem I exported something similar in length just a day or two before and it worked fine.

Now here's my question to anybody who might be an expert. Might the problem lie somewhere between the nested sequences since when we do dance videos I usually put the footage on a timeline and treat it as a multi-camera sequence (usually around 10-12 layers) and then nest it with other sequences on another timeline. But most of the time this works fine but there are a lot of nested sequences but I don't know I don't think this could be the problem and not even the color correction or grading since all the footage is proxy files half the size of HD. The only time I switch to full everything is to check if the sharpens and colors are ok and I always do this on stills without even playing. Besides on the latest project it rendered inside Premiere just fine.

The footage is almost always MOV files from a Nikon DSLR or maybe a Canon DSLR. Unfortunately I've only worked with 1080p and never above 60fps and always use proxy files.

Granted the PC I use isn't a top model for editing but I guess it should suffice for 1080p and besides the only one I have access to at the moment.

It's an all in HP with 8GB of ram and an Intel i5 3 GHz processor and a Nvidia GeForce 710A graphics card. The disk drive is unfortunately not an SSD.

But like I said I only work in HD and don't have access to any other PC or software. 

Anyway thank you for your input any thoughts are welcome.

Best regards

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC