#1 Luigi Castellitto

Luigi Castellitto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Campobasso (Italy)

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:24 PM

I am referring to those who know the slightest difference between the products for Bolex H8.

Everyone knows the three famous C mount lenses for Bolex H8 reflex:

Switar 5.5mm f/1.6 H8 rx

Macro Switar 12.5mm f /1.3 H8 rx

Macro Switar 36mm f/1.4 H8 rx

But:

1) Do you know that the last two lens (12.5mm abd 36mm) exist ALSO NOT MACRO?
I ask because I see, in various market, that some report "Switar" on the lens, other "Macro Switar" on the lens, but I have never seen any differences. Unfortunately I never had it in my hand and I could not test it,

2) Is it true that 5.5mm exists ONLY NOT MACRO? Being a very wide angle...

Thank you!

#2 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:19 AM

Ciao, Luigi

The lenses you mention were specifically designed for the H-8 Reflex and they exist in one form only, whether people forget to write RX or Macro or something. The wide-angle Switar wouldn’t need to have a macro facility because it takes quite a short extension for shorter conjugates with that short focal length. The 5,5 mm can be focused down to 11 cm and if you want to go closer with it, a shim washer or an extension ring will take you there. 11 cm can already be treated as macro.

The correct designations are

Kern-Paillard Macro Switar 12,5 mm, f/1.3 RX;

Kern-Paillard Macro Switar 36 mm, f/1.4 RX;

Kern-Paillard Switar 5,5 mm, f/1.6 RX.

The 12,5 is a wonderful lens, it derived from the 50 mm Macro Switar for the Alpa 35-mm. film SLR camera.

#3 Luigi Castellitto

Luigi Castellitto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Campobasso (Italy)

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:45 AM

Thank you, Simon.

about the words "macro switar" or only "switar", I was referring to the writing on the gray part of the lenses themselves. Can you confirm that also on the lenses tthe writing may vary (maybe for different years of production) and is it always macro? Not the 5.5mm, of course.

I have always used a Pan-Cinor 8-40mm 1.9 RX, a very good lens, but it does not have the macro and does not have a very wide angle (although I have a filter that allows me to reach up to a meter).
And even 1.9 maximum aperture, while Kern Switar lenses have larger apertures.
How are general qualities of these Switar compared to the Pan-Cinor 8-40mm 1.9 RX?

#4 Luigi Castellitto

Luigi Castellitto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Campobasso (Italy)

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:14 AM

Two examples of Kern-Switar lenses for H8 with only the letter "SWITAR" and not "MACRO-SWITAR" on the lens. First is 12.5mm, second is 36mm.

http://s16.imagestim...149311_12.5.JPG

http://s16.imagestim...i1149312_36.JPG

#5 Luigi Castellitto

Luigi Castellitto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Campobasso (Italy)

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:18 AM

Two examples of Kern-Switar lenses for H8 with the letter "MACRO-SWITAR" on the lens. First is 12.5mm, second is 36mm.

http://s16.imagestim...49313_12.5m.JPG

http://s16.imagestim...1149314_36m.JPG

#6 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:35 AM

You mean the aluminum rings, there are no grey parts. Obviously, the engravings got changed over time but from the red lacquer together with the extension you can tell it has the macro function. Please, don’t ask me when the changes occurred.

For the Pan-Cinor, it cannot hold up against the primes, especially in the shorter focal range. The thing is that we need the very best projection lenses, if we want to compare images from different taking objectives, and fine-grain films. I have Kodachrome II and Kodachrome 25 exposed behind these lenses, incomparable. There was a time when the Eastman-Kodak Company mastered a so-called cascade or cataract coating which resulted in the thinnest layers ever given to films. KM 25 has two separate layers for each primary colour, that is six distinct gelatine layers for RGB alone, plus a number of filter, subbing, and top coat layers. Together the package was not thicker than that of an ordinary black and white film. Kodachrome slides 24 × 36 and bigger exhibit a unique image quality primarily due to the thin layers. In short, try black and white positive (print) film to evaluate a lens’ performance. It’s got only one layer, a bit thicker for the maximum density of log 3 or so (enough silver stacked in space) but it is the most honest answer to the question.

#7 Luigi Castellitto

Luigi Castellitto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Campobasso (Italy)

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:46 PM

Yes, aluminium, sorry for my bad English, Simon.

I'll try to take these three lenses, and I'll test them with the proper films. Too bad for the Kodachrome end, but I have a pair of spare Ektachrome.

Do you know how the macro was active? How did the red band go out? By loosening? Pulling?

#8 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:06 AM

There are simply longer threads and the rear barrel has a red band painted on. The whole lens moves.

#9 Luigi Castellitto

Luigi Castellitto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Campobasso (Italy)

Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:44 AM

So, for enter the macro "mode" function just pull the lens forward and the red band painted comes out? And for return in normal mode have to press in the opposite direction and the red band disappears?

#10 Luigi Castellitto

Luigi Castellitto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Campobasso (Italy)

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

I found an image that shows that even the 36mm with the only written "Switar" has the red band.

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

Sorry, Simon, without the lens in hand, I did not understand how to insert the macro function (from without red band to with red band).

P.S. How do I post pictures? I've seen the previous ones have been removed. Is not the external link good? I can'tfind the regulation.

Edited by Luigi Castellitto, 03 October 2017 - 02:14 PM.

#11 Luigi Castellitto

Luigi Castellitto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Campobasso (Italy)

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:25 AM

Ok, I bought the three lenses at a good price, waiting to test them.

P.S. The external link now are Ok.

Edited by Luigi Castellitto, 06 October 2017 - 01:25 AM.

#12 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1536 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:45 AM

I think with Macro Switars the lens focus scale rotates twice, to extend the lens further out. During the second rotation the red section is revealed so you know you're in macro mode. I think that's right, been a while since I had my hands on a Macro Switar.

#13 Luigi Castellitto

Luigi Castellitto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Campobasso (Italy)

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:55 PM

Thank you, Dom, I try when I get the lenses and and I update here.

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Technodolly

Glidecam