#1 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1892 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:45 PM

Weirdly .. as above.. I have to make a grey backdrop blue.. what would be the best lights for this.. I have LEDlights I can set to 6000K and camera to 3200K..or more.. but the reference Ive got the backdrop looks alot bluer.. I would say just do it in post but it will have up to 5 people in front of it.. 

Easier the better.. ! thanks..

Edited by Robin R Probyn, 07 October 2017 - 04:46 PM.

#2 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:55 PM

Just flood it with blue gelled tungsten, no?

And it won't get any easier than blue paint.

#3 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1892 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

Yes true.. trying to avoid large -ish tungsten lights and gels.. so 80,s.. Ive been LED /florrie for years now.. answering my own question.. probably go for Arri Sky Panel..crank it up to 10,000K.. camera down to 3400.. 

Just cant be dealing with large, hot lights and gels these days.. ..runs for cover !

#4 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:51 PM

I just don't know any inexpensive LED heads that get BRIGHT off the top of my head.

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:19 PM

Just lighting a background to 5600 while the foreground is 3200 probably won't be blue enough for a chroma key, you'd want a much deeper, more pure blue.

If you can find them, using blue screen Kino tubes will pretty much turn any grey backdrop into a pure blue.  Or take an HMI (or daylight Kinos or LEDs) and add two layers of Full CTB.  You want to create a blue that is fairly devoid of other wavelengths.

#6 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1892 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:11 PM

Thanks David and Macks..  Its not actually for blue chroma key.. that would be easy enough and I have my own screen.. for some reason these guys have a mottled grey background.. but have been lighting it up as quite a dark blue .. ( Yes why not buy a blue one !).. which is what I assumed it was from the reference video sent to me.. 

But Kino,s with blue screen bulbs is a great idea.. or plan B for budget was  Kino,s and gel.. ( I dont even actually have any of my own gel anymore!).. should have kept some.. 

Macks.. yes not cheap, but there is a model of the sky panel that cranks up to 10,000K..   and are pretty powerful ..it will be in a studio type setting .. no windows ..

Thanks 

#7 Jaron Berman

Jaron Berman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, NY

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:22 AM

You're still thinking in "white" lighting terms - 10000K is still referencing a "white" point of a black-body radiator.  True, the sky panel can do whites up around 10000k but that's still using it's white feature.  It can do colors as well, including saturated blues.  And for that matter, so can all RGB LED units.  Look at rental houses that do touring lighting for concerts - Colorblaze 72's are 6' long batten strips and even without a DMX controller you can set them to do jewel tones no problem.

#8 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1892 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:31 PM

Thanks Jason for the info.... my thinking was 10,000k on the light and 3,400k or so on the camera.. or somewhere between adjusting both to get the required look.. Im waiting to hear how they have actually done it in the past.. but time is running out.. I thought the thing was Blue !! from ref video sent to me...suddenly told its grey  and a dir very fussy about the color !! I see a great day two days coming up..   plan B.. kino, s with gel.. 

#9 Jaron Berman

Jaron Berman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, NY

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:21 PM

I do this ALL the time for colored cycs.  I much prefer to paint a gray paper than to swap papers for every color - as long as there's space to make separation so I'm not getting crazy color bounce (which would also happen to some degree on colored paper).  The advantage to LED units (with some control) is the ability to use HSL color - hue saturation luminance.  Pick a color, set the saturation, then adjust brightness.  Skypanels (or any other RGB or RGBW/A w/ a DMX controller) can be controlled this way as well.  

The example I always point to online is the OK GO muppet video - they do snap changes that look like CG, but are just lighting cues on their cyc wash.  Those are ETC Desire D40 fixtures, but literally ANY flicker-free RGB can do it.   Most LED have a simple control mode that uses 3-4 channels, so you can rent with them a basic controller that has no learning curve.  DMX can seem intimidating but rental houses can generally steer you into the simple mode and help you daisy-chain them so for very little money you can get some very fine control over your cyc wash.

#10 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1892 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:40 AM

ok thanks again.. its a mottled grey background.. actually I think I have the exact same one.. but seems the dir likes it to be blue.. its not that they change it alot.. the exact opposite.. he wants it that color  exactly everytime.. I wish he would just buy a blue one he likes for dp, s on future shoots !

Thanks again for your time sir.. ideal world what you say would be the best road to follow Im sure.. I doubt I will have the time now to organize it.. 

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

CineLab

CineTape