Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:36 PM

Hey all,

I've recently been reunited with the ol' Eclair NPR and it's been ten years since I actually had it in my hands.

I have a few questions regarding taking better care of it than I did in the past.

I still use the regular Eclair flight case which is a metal moose to carry around. I would like to switch to a Pelican. Any recommendations as to which?

Do you store your zoom in a separate case from the camera? I didn't, and my original Angenieux 12-120 became heavily fungus infested. Not sure if a Pelican case would prevent this.

Do you store silica gel packets in your camera case? In your lens case? I'm traumatised by the fungus thing.

Any help is appreciated, the NPR is very dear to me and I want it to last another 45 years.

#2 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:57 PM

Oh and what is the consensus on replacing the metal lens cap with an easily removable plastic one?

#3 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:47 PM

I just feel there's less wear on the threading if I use a plastic lens cap. If no one thinks that's a bad idea I guess I'll go ahead and do it. I see people doing it all the time on the K-3.

#4 Carl Nenzen Loven

Carl Nenzen Loven
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Student
  • San Francisco

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:18 PM

Hey all,

I've recently been reunited with the ol' Eclair NPR and it's been ten years since I actually had it in my hands.

I have a few questions regarding taking better care of it than I did in the past.

I still use the regular Eclair flight case which is a metal moose to carry around. I would like to switch to a Pelican. Any recommendations as to which?

Do you store your zoom in a separate case from the camera? I didn't, and my original Angenieux 12-120 became heavily fungus infested. Not sure if a Pelican case would prevent this.

Do you store silica gel packets in your camera case? In your lens case? I'm traumatised by the fungus thing.

Any help is appreciated, the NPR is very dear to me and I want it to last another 45 years.

http://www.pelican.c...el-case/iM2975/

School has this one for the Sony F5 kit. Works great.

But it probably won't fit any mags...

C

#5 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1883 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:59 PM

There are some cheap quasi Pelican cases selling here in the budget auto supply shop. They are actually pretty good.  Do you guys have this kind of thing there also? 

#6 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:16 PM

Sorry Gregg, didn't see your reply on this (even though you never reply to me on PM, ha). Yes, we have some called "Stanley Fat Max" and I see some DPs like Dane Paul Stewart lugging their gear in them. But there's no way I'd do that. I ended up getting a Pelican 1610 and it's so big I could fit my Arri 2C in it along with the Angenieux 25-250. But ironically I have yet to cut up the foam since the NPR is in the shop for the next couple of weeks.

I considered getting a second one to lug around my mags, but I have 10 magazines for the NPR. They seem to accumulate over time. The 1610 only fits 6 mags.

#7 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1883 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:28 PM

...you never reply to me on PM, ..... I have yet to cut up the foam 

The first one is false......re foam, is it open cell or closed cell...?  Closed cell was used successfully for years.  This new pick a foam idea using open cell where you rip out the little cubes to give the shapes you need,,,open cell makes that more practical, but my strong instinct is that open cell is an inferior material for cases. One wants to exclude moisture, so closed cell foams should be better at that.....

#8 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:33 PM

It's that "pluck-a-piece" foam thing in the Pelicans.

Well okay you have replied a couple of times, but at least twice I've asked for guidance and was ignored.

#9 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1883 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:54 PM

The pick a foam is a feature of the cheap Pelican clones here.  I haven't used Pelicans so I can't comment on the nature of the foam they have historically used. But the debate of the relative value of the different foams is worthy...

I checked my PMs....your comment lacks factual simplicity.  Please don't be careless with the forum, the processs, the people....People being polite or observing behavioural forms is not an indication of weakness...

#10 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:59 PM

I checked my PMs....your comment lacks factual simplicity.  Please don't be careless with the forum, the processs, the people....People being polite or observing behavioural forms is not an indication of weakness...

Your reply is too open to interpretation. Are you saying that if I behave well I'm not being weak, or are you saying I'm thinking people are being weak because they're polite? Is there a cultural difference at work here?

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

CineTape

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab