Kamaljeet Negi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:27 PM

Hello friends,

I am doing an 'animation' in which I am projecting an image on to set(model) which I have to shoot. In most of the shots I am supposed to track with projected image (which is live action). 50/50 beam splitter semi silver mirror seems the answer. Since I have to track I need to fix the projector at a distance (along the same track) and the Beam Splitter infront of camera. Is there any rig for this purpose available around (in UK) and what is it called. Any sort of lead would be helpful. I am using Mitchell Camera.

At the moment I am trying to work with projector being as close to the camera at an angle but this is not working properly.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers!

#2 Tony Brown

Tony Brown
  • Sustaining Members
  • 689 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 02 July 2005 - 02:17 PM

Hello friends,

I am doing an 'animation' in which I am projecting an image on to set(model) which I have to shoot. In most of the shots I am supposed to track with projected image (which is live action). 50/50 beam splitter semi silver mirror seems the answer. Since I have to track I need to fix the projector at a  distance (along the same track) and the Beam Splitter infront of camera. Is there any rig for this purpose available around (in UK) and what is it called. Any sort of lead would be helpful. I am using Mitchell Camera.

At the moment I am trying to work with projector being as close to the camera at an angle but this is not working properly.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Smauelsons used to have a front projection rig thay was looked after by (I think Adam Samuelson). All there stuff was bought up by Panavision UK.

I would contact Jow Dunton for that type of 'old' technology at Joe Dunton Cameras in Elstree, he's your man for that stuff.

Failing that, Movietech have a rig they made up for me that took two 435's based around the old front projection idea. they may be able to adapt it to take a projector.

Try Joe first

#3 Kamaljeet Negi

Kamaljeet Negi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 02 July 2005 - 03:41 PM

Thanks Tony,

I have been able to capture a good image projected from near the camera on a glass which reflects back the image. The problem is that it is taking a long time to set up, to get that good image - trial and error. Am in a testing stage. Will try JDC.

Cheeers!

Edited by Kamal, 02 July 2005 - 03:46 PM.

#4 Tony Brown

Tony Brown
  • Sustaining Members
  • 689 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 03 July 2005 - 06:19 AM

Thanks Tony,

I have been able to capture a good image projected from near the camera on a glass which reflects back the image. The problem is that it is taking a long time to set up, to get that good image - trial and error. Am in a testing stage. Will try JDC.

Cheeers!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spoke to somebody yesterday who worked on the current Orange campaign where they utilised projection for some travelling car setups which involved a different projector for each of the 3 visible car windows.

Joe's son Lester was the person who sorted the technical stuff, maybe ask for him......

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal