Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1037 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Australia/Wherever The Wind Takes Me

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:20 AM

Hi guys,

I'm looking into flexible LED options at the moment. And was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

My gaffer had a couple of NanGuang bi-colour flexible leds on a recent shoot, and they were very versatile, and they're very cheap. However we did run into a couple of issues that showed their cheap build quality, and the dimmer/battery plate doesn't have any kind of readout for the current colour temperature setting.

Build quality is a big deal for me, so I'd probably prefer something that's going to be solid.

I just had a look at the Fomex FL1200 today, it's a 2x1 120w unit with 97/98 TLCI and great output. And looks pretty well put together. It's almost 4x the cost of the NanGuang units though.

The rigging possibilities these things open up though are really exciting though, so I'd love to hear people's thoughts.

Cheers,

Mark

#2 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain / Ireland / South Africa

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:01 AM

Hi Mark,

I have been using the Aladdin Biflex as of lately and I’m super super impressed.
They have different sizes and the ones I’ve been using are the Biflex1 and Biflex4.

Both of them can give you either 3200K or 5600K and they can be dimmed from 100 to 10%.

The only problem I have come across is that 10% is usually too bright so I usually end up putting NDS or Depron.

http://aladdin-light...ddin-bi-flex-4/

Great lights!!

#3 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1037 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Australia/Wherever The Wind Takes Me

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:13 PM

Thanks Miguel, the Aladdin's look great. I didn't know they only dimmed down to 10% though, that could be a bit of a deal breaker for me. I'll keep an eye on dimming values for the rest of them.

#4 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain / Ireland / South Africa

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:33 PM

I'd say that they are THE BEST ones I have ever used, not only because of the size of the light itself but also because of the lightness.

The dimming value is something that I can easily correct either with depron or with ND. 

There are several shots here which are lit with the smaller one.. and 1 of them with the 4.

Have a good day.

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies