Photo

Are there affordable option to control manual fixed cinema lens focus on a gimbal

wireless focus budget focus pulling

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Baldwin

Seth Baldwin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Australia

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:12 AM

Hello,

I have a music video shoot coming up soon, and this is my first experience using a cine lens. We are using a gimbal system, renting an A7sii and a Xeen 50mm cine lens. What we forgot is that cinema lenses are manual only, so from what I found online, does that mean no electronic wireless focus systems will work for example the Aputure DEC wireless adopter? We don't have the budget to afford the standard $1k to $2k remote motor wireless follow focus systems.

Is everything I've said so far actually correct and are we really stuck with no way to keep our shots in focus?

Thanks

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:37 AM

You will need a radio focus system that engages with the focus gear on the cine lens. You can rent these, there are a number available, they have been used on Steadicams etc for many years,

#3 Chris Steel

Chris Steel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • London

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:31 AM

That's all correct.

The Aputure DEC is essentially the same but it uses a motor inside AF lenses. Cine lenses don't have those so an external motor is needed for wireless use.

There are some affordable options that you can rent by project or if you're going to do it a lot, look into purchasing.

RTmotion and Hocus Products have very good options for gimbals (including thumbwheel control) but are a bit more expensive to buy outright. DJI have a passable product which should be ok for you.

If you have a dedicated focus puller, something like the Bartech or chrosziel Fox would be in your rental price range.

Tilta now have two options that are fairly affordable but they are unproven at the moment. Avoid Cinegear and cheap ebay products as they break more often than they work.

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC