Photo

Is it possible to use the DJI wireless follow focus system with the Ronin Gimbal?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Seth Baldwin

Seth Baldwin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Australia

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:54 AM

Hello,

We're needing a wireless follow focus system that has a transmitter a weight under 2.5kg to keep our cheaper gimbal balanced. We are interested in renting the DJI wireless follow focus system but have no experience of how to set it up. Is it possible to use this system with out the DJi Ronin or an expensive cinema camera? We are using an A7sii, Xeen 50mm.

We couldn't find any information of how this setup works, can it work on it's own or does it need power from the Ronin or camera?

Thanks

#2 Tristan Noelle

Tristan Noelle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • North Hollywood, CA

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:47 AM

I dont believe you need anything special to power the DJI Focus aside from a powered P-Tap port.

I havent used it, mind you. But the manual says the motor is powered via P-Tap . It mentions the specifically the one on a ronin but most batteries used in film, V-mount or Anton Bauer, will have a P-tap outlet (sometimes called D-Tap) on them to power accessories, or more likely the plate/pinch they mount on will have it, and will be proper voltage.

I often end up using a wireless FF (usually a Bartech) on my A7s2/Rokinon rig, but I have to rent or borrow proper V-mount/AB batteries for it to work. I own a LanParte V-mount pinch for those setups. If going on a gimbal you might want to use P-tap extension cable so the power cable has slack to let the camera move and pan.

Visual Products

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies