vladimir mart

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Havana Cuba

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:39 AM

Hi to all. I´ve been following the site for a time now and i have to say that it´s a great resource to learn and share information. This is my first post tough.

Anyone have a good trick to make a fluorescen lamp flicker, kind of horror movie flicker. I used to have good results by putting it through a dimmer, but it seem that the fixtures you get nowdays can take voltage drops better and do not flicker but dim and of.

thanks in advance.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11918 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:56 AM

If you want a classic fluorescent flicker, you'll need a conventional non-electronic ballast with a starter. 

Be careful that your flicker effect doesn't cause rolling shutter problems. It may cause half-illuminated frames.

You can solve both these problems with some of Outsight's LED panels. They do various flicker effects and there's a synchronisation accessory available to avoid torn frames.

#3 vladimir mart

vladimir mart

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Havana Cuba

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:09 AM

Thanks Phill, i do know that i need a to use a fixture with starter, but that´s exactly my problem, i have been tryng with the ones on the market now and i don´t get the same results i used to have. You can off course get the effect with other kind of ligth but if you want to have the lamp on your frame that´s not an option.

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11918 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:27 AM

Yes, you'll just have to get some magnetic ballasts. They're not impossible to find.

#5 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3008 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:40 AM

I've used tungsten lamps wired with a fluorescent starter to get a flicker effect, but that doesn't help you if you need the lamp to be in shot. I suppose you could try wiring a second starter into power cable of the fluorescent lamp, but I have no idea if this would work, or if it's safe to do so.

Simplest option would be to replace the fluorescent tube with a Quasar tube, and connect it to a flicker box

#6 vladimir mart

vladimir mart

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Havana Cuba

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:44 AM

Stuart, i did tried the starter trick but doesn´t work, The second option it´s good but it´s not easy to find LED tubes in Havana specially the 4ft ones.

#7 vladimir mart

vladimir mart

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Havana Cuba

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:49 AM

Yes, you'll just have to get some magnetic ballasts. They're not impossible to find.

Sorry, i meant that i tried with lamps with magnetic ballast/starter, just that they are new. I guess i will have to find some of the oldest magnetic ballast or star to find another solution like the one Stuart suggested.

#8 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11918 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:44 PM

If you can find a variac (not a conventional dimmer, a variable mains transformer) you can usually wind the voltage down to the point where the lamp will flicker. Some conventional triac dimmers will stand this, but others may be damaged, so be careful.

Otherwise, just put it on a flicker box. Or have someone wiggle the plug.

#9 vladimir mart

vladimir mart

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Havana Cuba

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:52 PM

If you can find a variac (not a conventional dimmer, a variable mains transformer) you can usually wind the voltage down to the point where the lamp will flicker. Some conventional triac dimmers will stand this, but others may be damaged, so be careful.

Otherwise, just put it on a flicker box. Or have someone wiggle the plug.

Ahh!! you are rigth, it was quite a bit time since i  last used this trick that i forgot about the variac dimmer detail, i was using now electronic dimmers, that´s why it didn´t work.

Thank you very much.

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine