Photo

Bosher's different approach to Eclair conversions?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:04 AM

I found this rather interesting.

Visual Products and Bernie O'Doherty alter Eclair magazines when converting the NPR into Super 16.

But a friend of mine today told me Les Bosher doesn't alter Eclair NPR magazines when he converts the cameras to Super 16. 

Apparently Les Bosher told him " The magazines don’t require altering. If they don’t scratch now , they won’t after the camera is converted."

I find this intriguing since one of the things that made me choose Ultra 16 was the fact that magazine conversions tend to cost about $300 no matter who does it.

Is Les correct?

#2 Heikki Repo

Heikki Repo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Director
  • Finland

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

Mine (ACL) weren't modified. I haven't seen any scratches thus far. However, I have a feeling that on one of my mags there is higher chance of some dirt accumulating on the modified side of the frame which might suggest that there is some very minimal scratching going on. Or perhaps there isn't. No idea.

This was shot with my "Bosher modified" Super16 ACL with unmodified mags. Indoors footage with one mag, outdoors footage with the other. Can you spot any scratches?

#3 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:42 AM

Mine (ACL) weren't modified. I haven't seen any scratches thus far. However, I have a feeling that on one of my mags there is higher chance of some dirt accumulating on the modified side of the frame which might suggest that there is some very minimal scratching going on. Or perhaps there isn't. No idea.

This was shot with my "Bosher modified" Super16 ACL with unmodified mags. Indoors footage with one mag, outdoors footage with the other. Can you spot any scratches?

Holy cow I LOVED this!! It was hilarious! I had to watch it with the sound off since my son is sleeping in here but I loved this! No, I didn't spot any scratches. Great job!

#4 Heikki Repo

Heikki Repo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Director
  • Finland

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

Holy cow I LOVED this!! It was hilarious! I had to watch it with the sound off since my son is sleeping in here but I loved this! No, I didn't spot any scratches. Great job!

Thanks! :) It was a fun project and proved to me that an ACL with professional PL glass, even if lower end (Optar Illumina) can produce quite good results. :wub:

#5 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:58 AM

I'm impressed with the sharpness you got out of those Optars. I just took a quick look around and they don't seem to be cheap anymore though. Was there a focal length you used more than others for this?

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal