Photo

B+W 16mm Dupe print - Shadows, Highlights, Detail - Advice?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Scott Johndrow

Scott Johndrow

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Florida

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:22 PM

I'm looking to get a Black and White, 16mm dupe print scanned, and I'm wondering about these particular areas.

I have not assessed the print myself, but the collector, who is trusted and experienced, says it is much sharper than other 16mm prints he has seen of the same film.  He believes it was duped off a 16mm print, which itself was made off an original 35mm negative.  There are no known 35mm negatives/prints of this film known to exist - and no 16mm prints made directly from the negative are known to exist either.

At this point, this is all the information I have.  It is a high priority to me to capture everything on the print - all detail and the entire dynamic range. 

Would this require specialized equipment to truly extract every last bit of detail in the highlights and shadows?  Or given that it's a dupe, should I expect that most transfer houses would produce the same results? 

I would like to future-proof this effort and I'm okay with the added expense of a 4k scan.  Even an extremely minor uptick in detail would be worth it - but again, given that it's a dupe, what are the chances that it would offer anything over 2k?

#2 Perry Paolantonio

Perry Paolantonio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, MA

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:44 AM

Hi Scott,

With a print, especially one several generations removed from the original, you likely won't see much of an advantage from an multi-flash HDR scan. We've found that that works best on camera original film, and intermediates, which tend to retain much of the dynamic range of the original. 

One of our regular clients deals with films that have gone through a process similar to what you're describing: 35mm original, reduction print to 16mm, intermediate from that, new print from that. So at minimum, 3 generations removed from the original. In most cases there's nothing left in the shadows by that point so HDR doesn't help because there's nothing there to see. 

-perry

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC