John Dimalanta

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:36 AM

I just updated my "All-in-One" Kit, which I guess is my 'one-man band' kit...the main items below:

*1x F&V R300se Daylight Ring Light (this is usually in my camera bag as it can be mounted to camera)

1x Falcon Eyes 18D Daylight FLEX LED Panel (replaced old Lowel Rifa-Light)

1x Yongnuo YN360 BiColor/RGB LED Wand (good as a kicker or back light and also RGB for color effects)

1x Lowel-Tota (the 'oldie but goodie') 

2x 5x7 Collapsible Double-Sided Backdrops (one is Chroma/Gray and the other is Black/White which can be used for bounce or negative fill)

1x 5x5 Overhead Frame w/ Skins

2x Reverse-Leg Light Stands

5x Compact Light Stand (< 30" collapsed height) 

Xx Spring Clips (#1, 2, 3)

3x Drop-down Scissor Clamps

1x Gaffer/Gator Clamp

4x Stingers

6x Sandbags (empty bags that I fill with whatever)

Xx CTB Gel for the Tota, Gaffer's Tape, Trickline, Zip-ties, LED "twinkle" lights, etc

All this fits inside this case...I hope to post pics soon on my blog...hope this helps!

To clarify this is my personal kit for small jobs (interviews, broll, etc). For larger jobs, usually just go the rental route (1-Ton, 2-Ton G & E, etc) as needed by the job.

For those types of jobs I usually only bring the basics - light meter(s), Gaffer's Glass, iPad, and the F&V R300se since it makes for a small compact eye light or if i just need a little fill. Anything else is usually supplied in the rented gear. 

#22 Dylan Sunshine Saliba

Dylan Sunshine Saliba
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, Colorado Springs

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:24 PM

My "One Man Band" shoots often range from super simple, quick and dirty B-roll all they way to full interviews at multiple locations.  Properly assessing what might be needed versus what my back can handle carrying, setting up and breaking down in the given time range is a skill I'm still developing.  I'm a big fan of keeping a schedule and I really hate being the crazy guy futzing around with gear.  I've got an Aputure 300d that can be overkill for a key, but once I put the softbox with grid on it there isn't anything that the dimmer can't knock the stuffing out of.  That light runs on big V-mounts but worth it for the speed and portability factor.  I also have two 3.5x6 foot 5in1 pop up panels plus a couple cstands with boom arms that allow me to diffuse/flag/bounce the sun or other environments easily.  I still bring my Arri 650 as a back-up / rim light but I usually can find practicals and just dial exposure in by hand with gels and the remote squeezer.

Edited by Dylan Sunshine Saliba, 21 November 2017 - 01:25 PM.

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Opal

CineTape

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Glidecam

CineLab