#1 David Daniel Doherty

David Daniel Doherty
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dublin

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:51 PM

Hi all, Ive a living room scene to shoot, Red Epic.

As it stands, I have available Arri Tungsten lights - 3 x 800w and 2 x 1200

I use these in a fashion studio daily and I know how to utilize them and control them when shooting people quite well.

Im now concerned because Im mixing these with daylight from a window in the upcoming shoot.

The question I am asking myself is, should I use CTB gels with my Arris, or just hire day light balanced lighting. I guess Id like to use the Arris tungstens, since I know them.

Therefore, then my concern is the efficiency or inefficiency of using gels with them, I have no experience with this. I wonder how much compromise will be introduced to the output and the general disadvantages.

If anyone wants to respond in a positive way, please do, if you have an opinion or idea which option you might choose, in my shoes.

Cheers, David.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:25 PM

Since full CTB loses nearly 2-stops of output whereas Full CTO on a window loses 2/3-stop, I'd gel the windows as a first option unless there are simply too many of them or your shots have people going in and out of the front door.

You might want to add some daylight units if you can't gel the windows and you have to add blue gels to tungsten lamps, get a few daylight LED's or Kinos, etc.  Then you can use the tungsten for harder lighting effects and even leave them a little warm compared to the soft daylight units, for a slash of warm sunset lighting, for example, or warm backlight.

#3 David Daniel Doherty

David Daniel Doherty
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dublin

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:18 AM

Cheers, Dave. Option two is resonating most with me.

I’m shooting a musician performing in a hotel suite we’ve rented. His music is very quiet and quite sad. I plan on using long slow camera moves (motor slider and dolly) and zooms.

I’d like to create a somber, semi dramatic look and feel, to match the melancholic sounds.

Warm sunset / edge might also be something to aim for.

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Opal