#1 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:36 PM

So the other day, I witnessed a miracle. It was one of those Picking Up The Pelican Case Without Closing the Latches incidents. As a conscientious camera assistant (though not on duty at the time!), I got as far as, "Hey, don't forget to close the---?" before BAM! The DVX100 flew out of the case, lens cap still on, and landed on its side on the floor. I attempted to lunge across the counter I was standing behind so I could try and catch it, but it was a little too late. If only I had longer arms.

Anyway, after the horrific noise of expensive stuff falling onto a hard surface, the camera-dropper and I stood there in stunned silence. I managed to keep my profane remarks to a single "Holy poop!" (somewhat unusual for me) and then we inspected the damage.

Well, it still functions perfectly and even though the lens cap fell off when it hit the ground, the only cosmetic damage was a tiny crack on the side of the matte box. Wow.

I must say that I had lost a little respect for this camera due to its perpetually turning focus ring and seemingly flimsy design, but I gotta give it to Panasonic- I mean, it fell off a 3-foot high counter and flew through the air and then landed on tiled floor...AND it still works! :blink:

So, what have you done with YOUR DVX lately? :lol:

#2 Trevor Swaim

Trevor Swaim
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:49 AM

Good to hear the dvx is still working. I sold mine about a year ago to some good friends of mine, they used it for two days and the camera broke for "no reason". Actually what happened is it still records fine but it goes wonkey when you try to review what you shot. I feel bad but suspect it has something to do with them switching from the dry lube panny tapes that i used to the cheap wet lube wal-mart sony tapes.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:28 AM

Hi,

I suspect that's not the problem, as a tape lube issue would cause head clogging - and I'm fairly sure that miniDV uses the same heads for both record and playback.

Phil

#4 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:58 PM

Several of us on a multicamera DVX 100A shoot dropped out cameras. The result was a big back focus problem which was resolved by powering down the camera and removing the battery.

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

The Slider